Ceramic Tile backsplash

Old 01-15-06, 06:02 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic Tile backsplash

Hello, my husband & I are trying to put up a ceramic backsplash behind our countertop and it is the first of such project for us. Can someone help!!!!! When we lay the grout over top of the tiles do we put a border of grout at the top of the tiles? Also, should we leave a small gap between the counter top and the tile to put grout in, or do we but them right up to the counter top?
Thanks so much.

Old 01-15-06, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Hopefully you haven't already installed the tile. If you have, that's ok, we'll make it work. Ideally you will want any cut tiles or gaps to be at the top of the tile run against the bottom of your upper cabinets. Don't grout the line between your bottom tile and the countertop backsplash. There is a special grout caulk, which is somwhat gritty, and will resemble the grout you used in color. It is expandable and will give a seal to prevent water seepage at that point. Now, if you have a gap at the top, which you can't install a piece of tile in, maybe you could install a piece of screen molding or other molding which would dress it up a bit. Post back if we can help further. Good luck with the project.

Old 01-19-06, 07:49 AM
F
I've been wanting to do this for a while as well. Are there any good start-to-finish articles on doityourself.com that cover this? I'm assuming that I can't just adhere the tiles to the painted textured drywall I have in my kitchen, is that correct?

Old 01-21-06, 03:05 AM
T
How textured is it and with what?

Old 01-21-06, 07:14 PM
F
Originally Posted by Tileman
How textured is it and with what?
Ack! I knew you'd ask the difficult questions! Uhm... it's got light texturing (pretty much the standard wall texturing that I've seen) and it's textured with.... I have no idea? All I know is that it's maleable enough to mark with my fingernail. How would I find this information out?

Old 01-22-06, 05:14 PM
T
If it's very textured, I would scrape it off or redo the walls, you want a smooth surface if possible to set your tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: