ceramic tile over uneven concrete floor

Old 01-21-06, 03:17 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceramic tile over uneven concrete floor

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here. I want to lay ceramic tile on a concrete slab in my basement. The concrete is uneven in various spots making the tiles wabble when I put them down dry. I want to cover 300 square feet. What can I do about the uneven concrete?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 01-21-06, 08:18 PM
A self leveling cement will take care of the low spots. Depending on the elevation of the remaining high spots you might get away with using a larger notched trowel when spreading the thinset. What size tile are you going to use? Are there any cracks in the concrete floor? Is there there paint or sealer on the floor now? That all has to be removed and done best with a floor grinding machine which will also take away any high spots in the floor.

Old 01-22-06, 11:00 PM
S
Yeah I have the same problem here. When we first bought the house the level down the basement was uneven, so my father spent alot of time and leveled it with cement. I was told that the houses were designed that way so that water could fall on the side trench in case there was a flood. No floods for the past 8 years living here.

What would happen if we layed the titles with small cracks in the concrete floor? Right now there are no paint or sealers on the floor now. What should we do to prep the floor to lay the titles?

Originally Posted by Tileguybob
A self leveling cement will take care of the low spots. Depending on the elevation of the remaining high spots you might get away with using a larger notched trowel when spreading the thinset. What size tile are you going to use? Are there any cracks in the concrete floor? Is there there paint or sealer on the floor now? That all has to be removed and done best with a floor grinding machine which will also take away any high spots in the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: