1/4" baltic birch under 1/4" Hardi backer

Old 01-27-06, 03:38 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1/4" baltic birch under 1/4" Hardi backer

I am tiling my floor in a bath. The area to be tiled is 5'x5'. my sub floor is 2x6 doug fir t&g on 4' on center 4x6 floor beams. The bath room butts to a 3/4" maple floor in a hallway. While I know I can't just put the hardi backer directly over the t&g sub floor I want to keep the height to a minimum. I have been looking at a high grade baltic birch 5x5 5 ply 1/4 inch plywood. The grade of glue is supposed to be ok regarding moisture and is very strong and is suppoed to have the strength of regular 1/2" 5 ply plywood
Does anyone here have any thoughts or experience using this stuff or what I am planing?

Layout = 2x6 t&g floor-1/4" baltic birch 5 ply plywood,1/4" thinset,1/4" hardi backer,1/4" thinset,tile.

Old 01-29-06, 05:41 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No backer is rated over 19.2" oc. I'd take a sander, go over the 2x6's to remove any cupping, crowning and then add 1/2" bc plywood over top. Then for your underlayment use Ditra which is only 1/8" thick installed. Another option would be to install "joists" from beam to beam and then install plywood subfllor to replace the 2x6's.

Ther are no industry accepted 1/4" plywoods for ceramic. Both the 1/4 and 3/8 baltic plys were tested and only the 3/8 was accepted by the tile industry. Beyond that, manufacturers can claim anything they want which is why halex 1/4" baltic plywood pallet wrapping shows it as a tile underlayment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: