Ceramic Tiles onto chipboard

Old 01-30-06, 03:35 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic Tiles onto chipboard

I want to lay some ceramic tile inside the front door. The current floor is chipboard. When I stand and jump on the chip board it does not seem to flex or bend. I asked at our local tile shop if I could fix tiles onto chipboard and they said yes. They said all I need to do is prime the chipboard first, then stick them down using a flexible adhesive and use a flexible grout.
Is this the best way to do it or should I put down a layer of plywood first?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-06, 06:19 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chip board like particle board or do you mean OSB (Oriented Strand Board) whick is larger shavings of wood bonded together with a resin?

In any case, you cannot tile directly to a subfloor. If it is particle board, it needs to be replaced. OSB on the other hand is fine with cement board set in thinset and screwed down then tile on that. Even if you had a plywood subfloor, you would still need a second layer of either properly installed plywood or cement board or membrane. This helps to isolate the seasonal movement of the subfloor and supporting structure from the tile field.

Particle board can never be under a tile installation. The moisture in either the primer or the thinset can cause it to swell and deteriorate. The tile substrate must also be porous so trying to use a primer is out. OSB is fine when topped with plywood or cement board (cbu is a better option to use) but best would be if you have the height to add both a layer of plywood then cement board. Thinset will not stay bonded to the resins used to make osb.

Your choice of underlayments is also determined by the supporting structure. What size are your joists, their spacing and unsupported span? That tile store might be a great place to purchase tile but you hooked up with the wrong person there for advice.