Which trowell

Old 01-30-06, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which trowell

Finally getting back to my bathroom floor. I couldn't find a search function, so I'll ask. I'm putting in 12" ceramic tile in bathroom on Durock, and I wasn't sure if I should use 1/4 square notched or small V-notch trowell.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-06, 05:57 PM
BTW, my mortar is Mapei UltraContact Ultra Premium Full Contact Mortar.

Old 01-30-06, 06:06 PM
Bill Syms Jr.
Visiting Guest
Trowell

At the very least use the 1/4" notched trowel. You want to make sure that you are getting enough thinset under these tiles so they adhear to the tile boarding with no empty areas under tile.

You ever been on a tile floor and when you walk across is or knock something on it it sounds hollow? This is due to there not being enough thinset under the tile and especially on a floor could cause the tile to become loose or worse, crack.

But this is not rocket science. Take the trowell and "butter" the back with your thinset and set it to the floor. I usually apply pressure to the tile and twist it left and right a bit. You'll hear it bubble. This is the tile squishing the thinset flat between the grooves you created when trowelling it.

Now pull it back off. This should not be easy and should require you using a flat object to pry it up off the floor. Good sign. Now inspect the thinset. You should not see any of the lines you created when you butterred the back of the tile. If this is the case the the tile was set using the correct trowell.

If your floor is not perfectly flat (almost never) you'll find you need to add some extra thinset here and there to get them to edhear to the floor correctly.

Also if your setting the tile and thinset is squishing up all over the place, you may want to use a smaller trowell. But it is normal for some thinset to squish up into the grout lines here and there. I usually keep a samll bucket of water and a sponge handy as I'm setting tile to clean the excess thinset out of these joints as it is much harder to clean up once it hardens.

Hope this helps>

Old 01-30-06, 06:40 PM
OK, thanks. I set the Durock today, I think I'll wait until tomorrow to set the tile so I can get the right trowell and mesh tape. The tiles are Daltile glazed floor tile, if it matters. It seems like I have seen a number of different methods online. When you say 'a minimum of 1/4" ', do you think I would be better with a 3/8" square notch instead?

To be clear, you are saying trowell the Durock with the grooves, then apply a skim coat on the back of the tile as well?

(Obviously, this is my first tile job) Tileguy Bob advised me on preparing the subfloor a while back, but I've been working on electrical, plumbing, and painting since then.