Hazy grout problem

Old 01-31-06, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hazy grout problem

I have a new house with ceramec tile and light brown and dark brown grout. After one year I have finally gotten around to sealing the grout (the installer said it wasn't necessary and a waste of time). The grout had started looking hazy with white patches showing in it. I used a penetrating sealer and ended up very disappointed. I now have more hazy white patches in the dark brown grout and it even shows in the light brown grout where it didn't before. Can you suggest what I can do now to get rid of the white haze?

Old 02-01-06, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Was the grout splotchy from the time of the install or did this happen over time as you cleaned the floor? What kind of cleaner didi you use most of the time? Were there any spills on the floor that got special cleaning and the light spots are a result of that? A sealer does not act like a waterproofing agent that blocks everything out from soaking into the grout. It leaves resins behind that clog the pores in the grout but does not put a coating over the grout like polyurethane. Acids will eat away at the grout and could bleach out the color pigments.
Now that it is sealed, to apply anything else will require that the sealer be stripped off the grout. Contact the sealer manufacturer for their advice. After the sealer is removed a grout colorant could be applied that will give the grout a uniform, consistent color, either the same as what is ther now or a different color altogether. AquaMix makes a good one. Go to www.groutdye.com for an explanation of how one works. Grout colorants are also sealers so no extra step is necessary after the color is revived.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: