denshield

Old 02-03-06, 11:55 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
denshield

Should denshield be installed under a shower module and a whirlpool or not?
Also has anyone heard of a shower by Maax, the advanta series called the
Allegro? It is acrylic and was wondering if this is a good shower. Does anyone have any experience with it.

Old 02-04-06, 05:32 AM
T
If you are using it as an underlayment for a tile floor, then no, it does not need to go under them. Personally, I think cement board products are much safer than denshield. While it has a waterproof face, every cut edge and every fastener penetration is a place for water to get into the gypsum core.

USG used to have specific product for waterproofing the cut edges and nail/screw holes but now say just thinset over them. Thinset will not waterproof anything. Sometimes manufacturers will lower their specs to encourage people to try it. I will suggest you get yourself a bucket of Redgard or Latticrete Blue 92 and waterproof over the floor to be safe.

As for the fixtures, you will need to wait for someone else to reply.

Old 02-06-06, 12:39 PM
S
Thanks

Thanks for the help

Old 05-05-06, 12:29 PM
T
Denshield

TileBri... It's frusterating to see responces like yours to the use of Denshield. Denshield has long replaced Cement Board as my backer of choice. True it has a "moisture barrier" but the board itself is waterproof, cut a piece and stick it in a bucket of water for a week, nothing happens. Denshield prevents water from wicking back to the studs like Cementboard will, thus preventing ugly black mold on the studs. Denshield also carries a 15 year warranty (the only board on the market with a warranty). Do a little more research on the product before discouraging it's use!

Old 05-06-06, 05:39 AM
T
Denshield also carries a 15 year warranty
Let's see,

Hardibacker-20 years
Permabase-30 year interior
Durock-30 years
Wonderboard-up to lifetime if all CBP setting materials are used

(the only board on the market with a warranty)
I'm sorry, you were saying...

Do a little more research on the product before discouraging it's use
Hmmm

Old 05-06-06, 05:40 AM
H
No offense, Tilebri, but I gotta echo Tilegurus' post. I was suspicious of the product until I tried the dunk test (for ten days) that my supplier recommended. Taking the piece out I scraped the edge with a razor knife. The gypsum (silicon encapsulated) was dry just under the surface moisture. This is not the same gypsum core you'll find in drywall. Now I carry 4" x 4" pieces with me on sales calls to let prospective customers do the test too. It's a good selling point.

sharpa, I've used Maax products in several baths. Nothing wrong with them. You should set them in brickmortar so the base ends up firm and non-flexing. After setting do not apply any weight to the inside bottom for 24 hours or until the mortar is firm.

-halfwit

Old 05-06-06, 09:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Truth be Known?

I wonder if Denshield hasn't been reformulated in recent years?

Last summer I also stuck a cut-off of Denshield in a bucket of water for about six weeks. I was diligent in maintaining the water level. Upon inspection I found that there were tiny areas of something white creeping out of the product but it seemed to have nothing to do with the integrity of the product. The waterproof covering was difficult to peel-away and the surface just under the waterpoofing was intact and dry. I then scratched the wet surface on the back of the product and immediately turned up a dry interior. Then gently breaking the sample over my knee I found that the process seemed no different than using a piece that had not been soaked. All in all Denshield passed my unscientific testing and I am now suspicious that this is not the same Denshield product of years past. I have also changed my mind about Denshield.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: