custom shower pan

Old 02-10-06, 02:45 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
custom shower pan

We are building a custom shower stall in our basement. I was not going to use a pan, instead I was going to put in a floor drain and pour a concrete base with a curb. then I was going to put the tile on the concrete using mortar. I beleive this is how they do locker rooms, is this acceptable. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-06, 08:04 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
No good that way.

You still have to build the pan the proper way even if its in a basement on a slab. You need to put in a mud preslope, a pan liner and your final mud bed, then you tile it. Make sure you use the proper clamping drain.

Tile and grout is not water proof, even if you seal it so the pan will not hold water without a pan liner and clamping drain.

Old 02-11-06, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Most cultured marble component manufacturers make custom shower pans. We have one here locally, and he can make any configuration we want to please a customer. Check this out before you decide to pour.

Old 02-15-06, 09:53 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but at www.showerbase.com they do custom shower floors in any size you need. They've got corian, acrylic, or tile. With those, you don't actually need to pour a mud base, because they have a honeycomb nidacore liner. You may check that out before going through the trouble.