Ceramic Tile Install Guideline

Old 02-16-06, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic Tile Install Guideline

We are replacing our kitchen floor. We are considering either vinyl sheet or ceramic tile. Someone told us that we should not use ceramic tile since the floor support beams are 15' CL to CL. He stated that the guideline for ceramic tile was 13' CL to CL for support beams. Is this true?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-06, 09:54 AM
You posted this at another forum so I know you have 2x10 joists. You are overspanned for ceramic. As was pointed out at floorstransformed when you posted it there, you will need to add a support beam/posts or bearing wall or you could sister your joists. As it is, it is not stiff enough. Calculating at a 40 live and 10 dead load, your house meets the minimum code requirements but for a ceramic installation, you need to bump the dead load to 20lbs/sf. Ask everywhere you can find and eventually someone will give you a "thumbs up", but they won't be correct and your floor will eventually have problems. 1 year, 2 years tops.

You are fortunate to have found an installer who knows the trade and did not want to take advantage of you. Now it's time to sit down with that person and review the options to stiffen the floor structure and talk about the costs and effects of those options. Perhaps a closet in the room below would be helpfull and would take care of reducing the span as required.

Old 02-16-06, 11:43 AM
TY a bunch

Based on the reply we will stay with vinyl, which is what were currently have. Thanks.

Old 02-17-06, 07:35 PM
If you really like the look and feel of ceramic, have you looked at Congoleum, DuraCeramic? Installs almost identical to ceramic, without mixing mortar, or the wait to grout. Or you can install it without grout to look like stacked stone, and they have a sealer to seal the seam edges.

Old 02-26-06, 06:39 PM
DuraCeramic. I've looked into that product and I've heard good and bad things. I can't tell whether it's a good product. I've read that some people have experienced separation between the limestone layer and vinyl layer in short time and they're having problems settling the issue with Congoleum.

What's been your experience ?

Dave Bean

Old 02-27-06, 12:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Someone told us that we should not use ceramic tile since the floor support beams are 15' CL to CL. He stated that the guideline for ceramic tile was 13' CL to CL for support beams. Is this true?
He stated that the guideline for ceramic tile was 13' CL to CL for support beams.
Can someone show me where this information is printed? I understand there are 'span tables' and such but where does anything say anything about a 13' span being OK? Without knowing additional criteria?