Ceramic tile questions

Old 02-25-06, 07:09 PM
Firescooby
Visiting Guest
Ceramic tile questions

I am wanting to apply ceramic tile in our small master bath. It now has linoleum on the floor. I also want to apply tile around our tub. The tub is surrounded by painted sheetrock with a 8-10" lip on both sides.

Questions:

If the floor is level, do I need to do anything to prep the floor besides pulling the vinyl up and then putting the adhesive and tiles down?

As for the sheetrock walls, I don't have much of a clue here. What would be the appropriate process? Do I need some sort of a backer? There should not be any water exposed to the tile here.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-06, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the floor is level, do I need to do anything to prep the floor besides pulling the vinyl up and then putting the adhesive and tiles down?
Depends.

What is your subfloor made of?
What size are your floor joists, what is their spacing and what is the unsupported span of them?

In all likelyhood you will need to remove the vinyl as well as the underlayment that is under it, add plywood, add some sort of tile underlayment, then your tile.

The walls you can generally tile over the sheetrock if there is no water exposure.