Project Flooring Underway - Question

Old 02-26-06, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Project Flooring Underway - Question

Just started one of our fun 2006 home projects which is to rip up our carpet and wood floors, so we can lay down some tile.

At the moment we have all the carpet up and some of the hardwood floors. Turns out b/c we are on a slab the hardwood was glued down.
Any tips / tricks / ideas for removing the glue, or is it just hard manual labor of scraping away at it with a blade?

Second question is in regards to the slabe. It is in very good condition for the exception of a few minor cracks (1/16 in gap). Would it be in my best interest to go ahead and lay some roofing felt or so to span the cracks just for future prevention? Rather do things right the first time around.

Finally I noticed one slight hole (2in in diameter / 1in deep ) in a closet. What is the best material to fill this with?

Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-06, 11:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
NO ROOFING FELT unless you want your new tile to remove itself in the next thirty days or so.

The glue is a bummer and elbo grease is the way to remove it. Don't use any chemical adhesive removers, that, will only jeopardize your future tile bonding.

There are however isolation membranes available if you think the cracks could be a concern and will telegraph through the tile which they could. An isolation membrane is adviseable. I would recommend a crack isolation product called Noble CIS.

I don't think the hole is a concern and that divit can be filled with thinset either when the CIS goes-in or when the tile goes-in if CIS is not being used.

Old 02-26-06, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the reply bud. I figured elbow greese was going to be the only way to remove that glue. I guess it will make for a memorable experience

I will look into the crack isolation product called Noble CIS. Can this be bought at local stores (home depot..etc) or do I need to go to a speciality place?

Thanks

Old 02-26-06, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'll have to check with Noble's website to see where their products are sold in your area.
www.noblecompany.com