new tile floor over my existing tile floor

Old 02-26-06, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new tile floor over my existing tile floor

I want to place a new tile floor over my existing tile floor. It is 3/8 in thick. Will it be a problem replacing the toilet over the thicker floor? Will the toilet wax ring take up the added space and form a good seal? thanks

Last edited by drmhf; 02-26-06 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-06, 12:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You don't want to do this. Not only will you have problems with the toilet, vanity, door threshold, not to mention the now 3/4" drop when you leave the bathroom. Believe me, you will be be better satisfied with the job if you go ahead, pull all the vanity, commode, etc, tear up the floor, install a new modern substrate and retile it. Even after you install the new tile, the commode flange may not be sitting at the proper height. Available at hardware stores are extension rings that will bring the commode and wax ring to the proper height considering added tile. Good luck, and post back if we can help further.

Old 03-05-06, 07:00 PM
Bill Syms Jr.
Visiting Guest
New tile floor

So you are not changing the closet flange that the toilet is mounted to. First you will need longer bolts as conventional bolts are made to mount toilets where the toilet is mounted to the closet flange at floor level. These bolts are usually 3 1/2" long. You'll want to obtain some 1/4"-20 nuts and washers and bolt them to the closet flange. This will keep them in place when you install the toilet.

Next is the wax ring. First try the extra thick wax ring. I set the wax ring on the closet flange. It should protrude up past your tile. Now carefull set the toilet over the wax ring. For a good seal the toilet should balance on top of the wax ring about 1/2" to 3/4" off the floor. While the toilet is on the new wax ring, the weight of the toilet should let the toilet settle to the floor, or gentle pressure to the toilet. This will create a long lasting seal from the toilet to the closet flange.

But lets say you set the toilet on the wax ring and the toilet is sitting on the floor. The wax ring has problably not been compressed and will not create a seal needed, and start leaking. In this situation an extra wax ring is needed. Just a simple wax ring over the extra thick wax ring. Place both rings on the closet flange and install the toilet over them.

Remember that the toilet should squish (compress) the new wax ring(s) to the toilet flange, you will feel it as the toilet settles down to the floor. Now install the washers and nuts and tighten the toilet down to the floor. Now hook up the water line and run the toilet, flushing it a few times to check for leaks. Trim the excess off the bolts and install the caps.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-07-06, 03:28 PM
I agree with both Larry and Bill replies. Bill is saying it can be done, and for those determined not to do demo work, there is a way. Just realize what you'll end up with.
However, I'll have to side with Larry on this one. While it can be done without removing the existing tile, the headaches in the future, IMHO, will not be worth it. Larry mentioned the 3/4" height, but it will probably be higher since (if you want you new tile to look good and last a while) you will want to install a flat substrate under your new tile. Otherwise it will basically crumble under your feet. Crumb-believable... I know! Without a flat and sturdy underlayment your tile project is sunk before it begins.

Good luck,
HD

Old 03-19-06, 10:06 AM
I want to thank everyone for their help. I will probably do it right and take up the old tile floor. It's only a 5'x8' area.

Old 03-19-06, 11:11 AM
You'll be much happier in the long run.

HD