re: Ceramic tile around drain stack pipe- how to?

Old 02-28-06, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face re: Ceramic tile around drain stack pipe- how to?

Well into the tiling of my laundry and have come to my first trouble spot. What is the best way to tile around my 5 inch drain stack pipe. I am using 12x12 ceramic tile. I tried to cut the tile in half and cut out half circle on each with the idea that I would fit it back together around the pipe. But I don't think I have the correct tools because I could make these precise cuts. So, the question is, what's the best way to get this done, what toold should I use. this is the only situation I have like this (the rest is straight/90 degree) so I am hoping to avoid buying an expensive tool for this one-time use. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-06, 08:27 AM
Cut out all you can of the circle and then use tile nippers. Go slow and do not try to remove too much at a time. Nippers are like pliers but snap off small amounts of tile at a time. Good luck.

Old 02-28-06, 08:30 AM
A wet saw or angle grinder will do it. You can rent one for a day. Check with the store where you bought the tile. They may be willing to make a couple of cuts for you if you pay them a couple of bucks. You can mark the tiles and have them make the cuts. I've heard that many home depots and Lowes will make cuts for a small charge as well.

Old 02-28-06, 12:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you already have a wetsaw then layout your tile (circle) with a Magic Marker or Sharpie Pen, use a coffee can or a butter dish or saucer for a template. Then cut your tile in half as you did. Now take a half and bring it up under the running saw blade assuming the saw has an overhead blade and score slightly along your mark just enough to damage the surface of the tile a little following the half-circle. Now make a series of cuts from the raw cut edge into the circle you have scribed. Make these cuts (kerfs) about 1/4" apart until you have cut into the entire half circle you have drawn and scored. Then simply break-away the pieces. It's easy. Now, do it to the other half.