Removing wall tile adhesive?

Old 03-02-06, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing wall tile adhesive?

I have taken all the old wall tiles off in the kitchen from floor to ceiling - and I'm left with masses of tile adhesive. I'm keen on painting most of the wall surfaces eventually, and affixing new tiles only around the worksurfaces.
I have read that a carbide scraper is the best tool for removing adhesive. Is this true? How long (roughly) would it take to scrape a 250 cm high, by (total) 430 cm wide wall?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-06, 07:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Getting the glue damp with paint thinner will help. Scrape all that you can [if you scar the wall it can be repaired], scrub with a thinner rag - need lots of elbow grease. After most of it is removed you may be able to sand of the rest.

I'm not metric oriented but removing adhesive is never a quick easy job. wish you luck

Old 03-03-06, 08:45 PM
Welcome! It's always good to hear from our good friends in England.

Tile adhesive is nasty stuff and very hard to remove. I don't know how well a scraper would work. On small areas, I've had some success using acetone, but acetone is also nasty stuff and very flammable. There are products made specifically for tile adhesive removal, but they can be costly in price and effort. If I were you, I would try the scraper. If the scraper takes too much time, I would try a belt sander, but a belt sander will probably make a big mess.

Old 03-04-06, 05:52 AM
How long (roughly) would it take to scrape a 250 cm high, by (total) 430 cm wide wall?
Probably quite a bit longer than it would take to pull down that section of wall and install new sheetrock. You've got an 8x14' area to try and get ready to paint? Just replace that section. You'll be done in about 2 or 3 hours, tops.

Old 03-04-06, 10:33 AM
I didn't do a metric conversion on this. That is a lot of tile adhesive. I withdraw my suggestion to use a belt sander to remove the adhesive.

Stupid question: Do they use sheetrock in the UK?

Old 03-05-06, 07:57 AM
Many thanks!

I don't know if sheetrock is available here in the UK - I have'nt seen it in the DIY stores. Plasterboard is available - is it likely to be the same sort of thing?

Old 03-05-06, 03:48 PM
I would say yes.