Hopscotch for Advanced Beginners

Old 03-03-06, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hopscotch for Advanced Beginners

I am planning on doing a hopscotch design on my kitchen backsplash.
http://www.daltileproducts.com/image...h_Pattern2.pdf

But instead of 12 inch tiles and 6 inch tiles (as suggested in the daltile pattern) , I plan on using 4 inch tiles and a square of 4x1 inch porcelain mosaic tiles.

http://tileshack.com/metro_porcelain_tile.html

(I've already measured the mosaic tiles against the 4" tile and it is very close to exactly half. ) I've already ordered the mosaic tiles so it is too late to talk me out of using some mosaic tiles in my backsplash, but it is not too late for advice on how hard it is to do the hopscotch pattern. If it is too hard, I could change my design to use stripes of mosaic tiles. I did plan on buying one of those $80 tile saws for this application.

My tiling experience is a four-week course in tiling from the local adult ed. and my 2 tiling experiences 1) tiling bathroom floor with ceramic mosaic tile in one-foot sheets 2) tiling shower with glass mosaic tile in one-foot sheets.

(We used 6 inch floor tiles and 4 inch bath tiles in class the the mosaic tile I used was definitely much harder than doing a regular floor or wall in a grid pattern.)

Those projects both turned out looking good. (If I do say so myself.)

So my question from those with experience is, is the hopscotch design a difficult design for someone with my background to do? If you think it is doable, are there any tricks I should know about?

thanks for your time and expertise.

Last edited by cilla2004; 03-03-06 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-06, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You should be just fine. I personally like that pattern. I did it on my bathroom floor and my fathers floor (700 sqft). You shouldn't have any problems doing it. It does take a little more time than straight patterns. Remember to take your time. Really the only problem you have if the tiles aren't exactly proportioned is the cuts along your edges will change as it goes across the wall. Most people don't even realize they are changing. I would recommend having a spacers and wedges in case some pieces want to slid a little. You can't really use spacers as they were designed but sometimes you need them to keep things from sliding. Some people think mastic is easier to use on backsplashes but personally I don't have a problem with thinset.

Just take your time. I see more bad jobs because of rushing than anything else.

Good Luck
Bryan