cat pee on cement

Old 02-23-06, 10:27 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question cat pee on cement

I have cement floors and the previous owner had a cat that pee'd in contained areas on the carpet. I have removed all of the carpet and have removed all of the baseboards and shoe moldings throughout the entire place. I also have used adhesive remover to take up the carpet glue where the cat pee'd. I was suckered into buying the urine b gone that is advertised on television and that did NOTHING. I then went to the pet store and bought something called Simple Solutions and that at first it seemed to work but the smell has come back and is strong all over again. I am at a complete loss at what to do. The concrete floor has me stumped. I am looking for some suggetions/success stories!! PLEASE HELP!

Old 02-23-06, 11:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In cases such as this you must use the products that contain the proper enzymes. Urine won't penetrate too deep into concrete but it will get into the surface somewhat. To completely eradicate the odor the product must be used in the same quantities as the urine was originally applied to the floor. This means you have to flood the area and let it sit and penetrate. Some of these products do work just fine and others do not. If the urine deposits where near a wall it is possible that the drywall has also wicked the urine upward a few inches.

There is a sure-fire product called MICROBAN that is used in food service and medical operations that will also take care of the problem. MICRO BAN is hard to fine and is basically available only commercially. You will find it at a janitorial supply. If I remember correctly, MICROBAN is sold by the Jon-Don Company (or something like that) and you can find it on their website also. Be prepared to pay about $30 (or more) per gallon but it's worth it.

Old 02-23-06, 12:02 PM
B
i found microban they have a bunch of different ones to use. for anyone else that may have a similar problem here is the link. http://www.jon-doninc.com/catalog/ad...ords=pet+urine I am willing do/pay anything to get rid of the smell. I do know that there is some stains/smell on the bottom of the walls. I found this after i took off the moldings. I figured whatever would get the smell off of the concrete would work for the walls too.

Thanks for you help!!

Old 02-23-06, 12:34 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
We just let it dry, seal the cement and move on.

Old 02-23-06, 01:01 PM
B
let what dry? what would i seal the cement with?

if u couldn't tell i m confused

Old 02-23-06, 02:01 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I'm surprised to here the sealer will completely kill the smell.

If you seal your floor keep in mind you won't be able to tile it afterwards if thats ever your intent.

Old 02-23-06, 05:29 PM
Sealing contaminated surfaces is a favorite trick of all of the companies that deal with flood and fire restorations. I suppose sealing in the offender works but I wouldn't swear to it. I think it would be better to attack it and eradicate it whatever it is.

Sealing concrete gets you into another whole set of dynamics. Moisture is everpresent in concrete as it is, and if for some reason additional moisture is reintroduced into a slab the sealing of the surface will be the first thing to break down. This will also re-kindle the odor source and there you are again.

Old 02-23-06, 06:03 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Bud:

I'm going to suggest to my boss that we handle urine issues differently now. Thanks for the insight.

Old 02-24-06, 06:01 AM
B
I am not going to be sealing the concrete...

Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 02-25-06, 08:57 AM
Because this is a "tile forum" (sorta) I should go on to mention that useing any type of sealer on any surface that is to be tiled is not a good idea. All paints and sealers are known 'bondbreakers' when it comes to installing ceramic tile. In the case of a dry bathroom wall or a dry kitchen backsplash a little previous paint wouldn't be the end of the world but the tile project would be a better one if the tile were to be installed on the raw wallboard product. The use of a concrete floor sealer can spell disaster for a tile installation.

Old 02-25-06, 02:04 PM
T
Install a new slab.

Old 03-05-06, 01:12 AM
C
Bleach and one of those stiff 4" bristle shop brooms.

We were cleaning up a place where the tenants had a cat that would pee where ever and when ever it wanted. When we pulled the carpet and backing, a green cloud emerged it was that bad. I tried the water diluted bleach but found that 2 sessions of straight bleach and vigorous scrubbing with the broom, letting it soak in had the best results.

Being able to leave the property overnite was helpful...

Old 03-05-06, 03:47 PM
T
Originally Posted by Cienega32
Bleach and one of those stiff 4" bristle shop brooms.

We were cleaning up a place where the tenants had a cat that would pee where ever and when ever it wanted. When we pulled the carpet and backing, a green cloud emerged it was that bad. I tried the water diluted bleach but found that 2 sessions of straight bleach and vigorous scrubbing with the broom, letting it soak in had the best results.

Being able to leave the property overnite was helpful...
I would have never entered the property.

Old 03-05-06, 08:02 PM
When we bought our house it reeked of cat urine too. Especially more so when there was any dampness outside for a few days the smell would increase inside the house. We were told by neighbors that the woman whom we bought the house from had (no kidding) 20 cats. When we looked into what to do we found out at a pet store from a woman who rescued cats and had very many herself that there are two solutions for this problem. One was to get a bottle of peroxide (regular peroxide as you know it over the counter for boo boo's) a bottle of liquid soap, baking soda and a scrub brush. Do not mix any water with it. Put the bottle of peroxide in a bucket or mixing container (non metallic) dump half a box of baking soda in and two teaspoons of liquid soap (any kind as long as its liquid) mix it together. Scrub it onto the floor, carpet, wall or where ever the smell is. Scrub it in for about a minute maybe two depending on the smell. Then just take a rag of some sorts and wipe it off. That did work for our wood and walls. The other was Pour some bleach into a bucket of soapy water and scrub it onto the surface for about a minute, let it sit for a few minutes then just wipe or mop it up. That worked in our basement really well on the cement floor. also the peroxide mix works on dogs that are skunked and a spray bottle filled with mostly water and a capful or two of bleach sprayed in the air works on the skunk smell in the house. Just fyi for any pet owners.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: