plywood subfloor

Old 03-05-06, 04:48 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
plywood subfloor

I am thinking about replacing carpet in one of my rooms with ceramic tile. The subfloor is 3/4" tongue and groove plywood. What is the correct way to install tile over plywood like this?

Old 03-05-06, 08:11 PM
I also have tongue and groove. I was told to lay ceramic tile on my floor I would need to make sure the floor is level, and I would need to place a 1/4 inch plywood all over and lay the ceramic tiles on that. Thats what I was told by the HD guy. I havent actually taken on that chore yet as I have many I'm working on at one time and not ready to do the floors and chance messing them up before everything else is done. I am definately saving the floors for last.

Old 03-06-06, 12:15 AM
B
and I would need to place a 1/4 inch plywood all over and lay the ceramic tiles on that.
Do not put 1/4 inch plywood under any tile (unless you feel like replacing it often). 3/8 ply would be minimum, more is better.
On top of that you would put 1/4 inch tile backer set in a bed of thinset and screwed then seams taped.
Then you could procede with tile.

Old 03-06-06, 10:52 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
sruffin

The best way to proceed would be to add a 1/2" layer of exterior plywood (bc or better) screwed to the 3/4 t&g. Don't glue it just lots of screws. Avoid screwing the 1/2" ply into the floor joists. Stagger the seams so that they do not line up with the 3/4 t&g. Then 1/4" cement board over the 1/2 ply. Unmodified thinset between the 1/2" ply and the cement board. Use a 1/4" notched trowel for this. The cement board gets screwed down using special screws made for this. They make square drive screws that are much easier to set flush with the cement board. Then you are ready to tile (maybe).

Give us some info about the stucture of your floor. What size floor joists, the spacing between them and the unsupported span of the joists. Since you had carpet in the bedroom, you will want to make sure your floor is adequate to support a tile installation.

Praisinbear - Don't listen to nobody from Home Depot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: