Not marble, but actual MARBLES for tile...

Old 03-12-06, 01:00 PM
ae1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Not marble, but actual MARBLES for tile...

I've got this idea to pave my tub with melted marbles. The tub has some kind of nonslip finish on it with a design of ovals that is less slick than the rest of the porcelain, but they have turned grey, and absolutely nothing cleans them, so I'm just going to put a mosaic in over it. Melted marbles come in different sizes and they are flat on one side, so they should stick pretty well with the right adhesive. They are comfortable to stand on, and great to sit on or slide over--great backrub! I had a pal once who had this done with fancy little river pebbles in a very elaborate tub/shower enclosure. It was gorgeous, but I'm going with the marbles for the colors and finishes (some are regular, some have a sandwashed surface texture). But what should I use to stick them to the porcelain? Should I set them in mastic? Some kind of epoxy? A silicone? I want to do the whole inside of the tub and have them crawl right up the sides to partway up the tiled enclosure.

Any ideas? Of course if there is any practical reason not to do it (aside from the high-maintenance and the damage it will do to my resale value--ha!) do let me know. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-06, 03:25 PM
Never seen this done. Never heard of it before. Does not sound like a good idea but I don't know. Maybe someone else here does.

Old 03-16-06, 02:28 AM
I love an unconventional idea! My first question though, is what is your tub made of? Also, how is it installed? Is it set in a mud base, or installed over plywood? The reason I'm asking is that if it's a fiberglass tub and has any "flex" to it, the marbles will eventually pop off, leaving you with a real mess. I'm not aware of any tile adhesive that will stick to a slick surface like a tub for the long run. Maybe one of the pros on this site can help. In the install that your friend did with the river rock, was it a tub, or a shower enclosure?

Anyway, it's a cool idea, and I'd be interested to know how it works out.
Laura