Tile bid with or without waste

Old 03-12-06, 04:27 PM
schaefage
Visiting Guest
Tile bid with or without waste

Hello,

I recently received a bid for a tile job on my patio. I was just wondering if the price per square foot is the price per square foot of laid tile or the price per square foot of laid tile plus waste tile.

In other words the bid was for my 285 square foot patio. The tile person had me order 310 square feet which will cover the waste. In the bid he charges $2.50 per square foot on the 310 not on the 285. This doesn't seem right to me, but I could be totally off base. Please help.

Thanks,

Kent

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-06, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Get at least 3 estimates and be sure that prices are based on the same methods of installation and materials. Labor costs will vary depending upon the area in which you live, and the complexity of the project, and time required.

Old 03-13-06, 11:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Kent,

ALL tile installations require an overage for waste and breakage, that's the way it is. This estimate will require the installer to handle all the tile and he is charging accordingly. This is fair and typical.

He could have hidden the additional 25 square feet in the 285 square foot price and you wouldn't have been the wiser. At least the guy is honest.

Get more estimates if you wish but fair is fair.

Old 03-13-06, 09:04 PM
I agree with Bud. The materials he needs to handle is the charge. A 7" slice of tile is still a tile that was handled, breaking it down further, that cut tile costs him morebased on timr to measure, cut, etc. By the time all is done, he'll will have handled every piece. True sf is only used for caculating other factors, such as furniture moving, flooring removal, etc. That price is a steal. If you've seen his work and you are happy with it, go for it at the price as quoted. In my area, illegals can get that much. Between here and your JB post, you are getting the same results to your question.

Make your installer feel like you think he's ripping you off and you might only get his "good enough" installation and not his "true art" installation