Help! Updating 60s era ceramic tiled bathroom!

Old 03-13-06, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! Updating 60s era ceramic tiled bathroom!

We purchased a house that was built in the 1960s--when ceramic tile was all the rage! We would like to add a shower to the tub in the larger bathroom, but aren't sure how best to go about it. We purchased an adapter that will connect to the faucet in the tub and provide a hand-held shower head, with the flexible hose. We need help, though, in knowing what to put on the walls above the ceramic tile that surrounds the tub. The tile goes about 4 feet up on the wall and is curved back into the sheetrock on top, but we know that with a shower, the sheetrock above the ceramic tile needs to be covered. Space/budget/time do not permit us to tear out the tile; we just want to put something over the sheetrock in the tub alcove above the ceramic tile. The pre-fabricated tub/shower surrounds will not fit--we need something that we will be able to just screw into the sheetrock above the ceramic tile, then caulk around the edges. Please offer any advice possible! Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-06, 06:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Your current tile is set in a bed of concrete material over a lath facing. That is what gives it the depth and the rounded over tops. You may be better off than you think. Since a complete tear out is out of the question, try to locate either a similarly matching or contrasting tile (oddly enough, black comes to mind with a white grout). Cut them on angle, and lay them from the top of the roll over to a point about 6' above floor level. Of course you will need to cap the field off with a bull nose piece, which will be longer than your field tile. Now, if it is like my bathrooms, one is harvest gold and the other avacado - PEEEUUU!
Post back if we can help further.

Old 03-27-06, 10:54 AM
Wink Thanks so much!

I love the idea of actually just tiling above the existing tile. However...my husband is one of those who is very intimidated by any type of home repair......meaning....I am not sure when (if ever!! :->) that would be attempted! Is there anything a little more simple we can try?

(Oh, and by the way, ours were baby blue in one bathroom and baby girl pink in the other...that just happened to be our SON's bathroom!! Needless to say...we researched painting the ceramic tile in there, and it worked beautifully! Now the one we want to add the shower to is hunter green and white--instead of pink!)

Old 03-27-06, 08:43 PM
Nothing comes to mind that would allow you to have the waterproofness you need, the ease of installation, and the "right now"ness you want. If you price it, the 4 1/4" ceramic tiles don't cost that much, and you only have to tile up to 6' from the inside of the tub, which, according to your post is only 2 more feet or so. You can do the tile in a matter of a few hours, believe me. Have your husband go play a round of golf, and post back when he's gone. We'll have you with tile on the wall before he gets back. And it will probably cost less than he lost playing golf.

Old 03-28-06, 02:13 PM
Hmmm....sounds interesting!

OK...so how do I prep the sheetrock that's above the existing tile? It has a very slight textured feel...not too extreme, but you can see the texture in the paint. Also...what about the corners/edges? He doesn't play golf, but has recently discovered turkey hunting....which would probably give me longer than a round of golf!!! :->

Old 03-31-06, 06:38 PM
Sorry for the late answer. Measure the width and the two depths of the tub/shower enclosure. Multiply this by 24" (keeping all your measurements in inches). Take this total and divide by 4.25. This is the measurement of an individual tile. This is the number of tiles you will need to make a 2 foot high extension. Now, you will need to purchase "cap" or bullnose pieces to go on the top and the sides down to your existing tile. They are usually 6" long. You will also need 2 outside transition bullnoses to turn the top corners down to the existing tile base.
I need to know if the tile ends or turns when it reaches a wall turn. You don't have a picture of the project you could post, do you? It would help make the instructions for application of the tile easier.