Repair Kit for floor tile?

Old 03-14-06, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repair Kit for floor tile?

We just put down a new ceramic tile floor over the weekend in our bathroom. Got it all grouted and the next day, two of the tiles were cracked and started to lift. (I mean the grout was cracked, not the tile itself). Does anyone know if there is a repair kit that we could get that would put more adheasive under the corner of the tile without having to completely remove it? It is just in the corners and I hate to remove the whole tile if I don't have too. Someone told me they may sell a seringe kit that could shoot it under the tile.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-06, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grout cracking and tile sound would indicate subtructure movement, either not strong enough or improperly installed backer, etc. Just the grout cracking away from the tile and the tile lifting sounds like wet adhesive underneath or the thinset if you used bagged thinset could have skinned over before you set the tile on it or you used too small a trowel. Did you use a premixed adhesive to set the tile? Nothing will fix that. Perhaps a year from now, with a premixed thinset, if the adhesive actually does dry, then you could regrout all the floor.

More info would really help alot. What is under the ceramic, how was it prepped, including each step along the way except bathroom and drink/food breaks. Did you remove any existing floor coverings? Did you go over anything? Did you use any underlayments and how was it installed? What brand of setting materials, grouts did you use, what size tile, what size trowel? Is this a slab or wood structure? If a slab, were there any cracks and haw was it cleaned prior to setting, For a wood structure, can you check below and see your joist size, how long they span between supports and hat is the spacing between them?

Gotta try and find out the source of the movement before anything else or you'll be chasing your tail on that one, fixing those grout lines everytime company comes to your house.