regrouting tile--please advise

Old 03-15-06, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question regrouting tile--please advise

I tiled my bathroom floor last year, and I picked pretty small floor tiles, so there is lots of grout. The problem is the grout--there is so much of it, and it gets dirty so fast! I did seal it, but I'm thinking perhaps I didn't seal it well enough because the grout still seems gritty and porous. It holds on to dust and dirt like a magnet, and it doesn't help that both the tiles and grout are bright white! Actually, the grout looks more brown now--just terrible! Plus, the grout sits beneath the tile a bit, so it is so hard to even get in there to clean it. I'm hoping I can regrout it, and maybe pick a better sealer. I'm open to any other suggestions too. If regrouting is the best option, how do I prep it for regrouting? Also, can anyone recommend a good sealer? Thanks so much! jeannie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-06, 09:25 AM
Depending on Joint size

Depending on the grout joint size you may want to use a NON Sanded grout as opposed to a sanded and there are additives(sealers) that you add to that while mixing that are compatible with post install sealers.

Old 03-15-06, 09:33 AM
response

the grout joint size is 1/8". can I use non-sanded grout? jeannie

Old 03-15-06, 11:48 AM
If your willing to regrout then you might want to consider an epoxy grout. These type grouts are more resistant to stains and should be easier to maintain. They are a little more difficult to work with when grouting but will definitly be easisr to maintain. Take a look at this link under products SpectraLOCK.

http://www.laticrete.com/