Leveling Wall for tile

Old 03-20-06, 06:48 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leveling Wall for tile

Hello,

I recently ripped out my drop ceiling in our condo bathroom. I found that the builder had painted the drywall about 3 inches above the drop ceiling. The rest of the drywall above the ceiling is just drywall.(no paint, spackle, etc..) And the part above the ceiling is not level with the lower part. It sits approx. 3/8 inch deeper than the finished part.

I want to raise the ceiling approx. 12 inches, but the drywall that is up there is not level with the finished part. So I am wondering, can I put a thick layer of spackle on the upper drywall to make it level with the lower drywall? If so what type?

This is a precurser to installing slate tile on the walls in a few weeks. I thought if I could level the walls as best as possible, then the mortar for the tile installation could pickup the rest of the slack of the uneveness.

Thanks.

Old 03-20-06, 01:33 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Don't fill this in with joint compound. If the recess is 3/8", why not fill it in with 3/8" drywall. Smear some joint compound on the existing drywall, put up the 3/8" drywall over it and screw away.

I'll often tile over painted drywall for a kitchen backsplash. Thinset adheres to painted drywall ok but adheres much better to unpainted drywall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: