Tile around fireplace?

Old 03-23-06, 11:31 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Tile around fireplace?

We are putting down laminate floor in our living room. We are thinking about putting tile around our fireplace. I was wondering do you need to undercut around the hearth? Our fireplace is a tan stone color. Also what kind of tile would be the best to use?

Thank you for any tips!

Sarah

Old 03-24-06, 10:07 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Undercutting hearth will give you a more professional look. There are many ceramic tiles available that have the look of natural stone.

Old 03-24-06, 02:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is this hearth made of?

Old 03-24-06, 02:49 PM
S
The hearth is made of limestone & looks like it is sitting on red brick at the base from what we can see.

Old 03-25-06, 08:52 AM
AH! Just as I thought! In that case "undercutting" would be out of the question for a DIY'er unless you have the $300 saw and a couple of the $25 blades that would be required to undercut the masonry.

It's easy to suggest stuff like that when you have no experience at doing it. Are you planning to tile the face of the hearth-riser (if there is one)? If so, you may be able to create a gap with the tile that will serve as an 'undercut' for the laminate. Keep in mind that laminate is a floating floor and some up and down movement will be required for the floor to work properly.

Abetter description of the hearth's construction may be helpful.

Old 03-25-06, 10:23 AM
T
Originally Posted by Bud Cline
AH! Just as I thought! In that case "undercutting" would be out of the question for a DIY'er unless you have the $300 saw and a couple of the $25 blades that would be required to undercut the masonry.

It's easy to suggest stuff like that when you have no experience at doing it.

Nice Job, Bud! Quote of the day!!

Sarah, is there any chance you could post a picture or 10?

Old 03-25-06, 12:42 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
It's easy to suggest stuff like that when you have no experience at doing it.
ah ha ah ha

Old 03-25-06, 01:40 PM
S
I have a picture of my fireplace in My Documents waiting to post it, BUT I don't know how to go about doing it. Could someone give me help in posting it?

Thank You!
Sarah

Old 03-25-06, 04:01 PM
T
You can upload the pictures to web space your internet provider may have given you. I have some from my provider but hav yet to figure it out. Another option would be to use a free file sharing site. www.photobucket.com is a good one. Registration is free. Once the pictures are uploaded, under each pic is a group of selections. Copy and paste the url of each picture to the thread here and we can view them by clicking the link. "Image code" is not turned on for this site, so don't use that one. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Old 03-25-06, 06:15 PM
S
I will try to put in a link, hope that it works!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...esOct05039.jpg

Old 03-26-06, 12:58 PM
Yup it works.

Sarah I think you are asking for trouble trying to tile over that fireplace if that is your intention. You would first have to use a 'plasterer's corner bead' and 'wire mesh' then mud-over the stone just to get everything flat enough to recieve tile. THEN you could create the so-called 'undercut' you would need for the floating floor.

I suppose you are tired of the stone. How about cleaning and refurbishing the stone then use a stone sealer-enhancer to renew the appearance of the stone and keep it?

If you keep the stone you could then fashion a stained wood 'baseboard-like' piece around the bottom of the hearth-riser. This would have to be scribed and cut to the stone to look good then a gap could be left under the baseboard to recieve the flooring material. The baseboard would be attached to the stone riser. Laminate floors float and they need freedom to do so under the baseboard.

I'm not sure you have sufficient room on top of the hearth to install tile without blocking the fireplace insert and precluding its future removal.

You can forget undercutting, that isn't going to work.

Old 03-26-06, 07:11 PM
S
Thanks for your reply!
No, that was not our plan to tile the fireplace. What we was thinking of doing was laying tile on the floor in front of the fireplace.

What you said about cleaning & refurbishing the stones & using a stone sealer sounds like a good idea. What do we need to buy & who would sell it?

Thank you!
Sarah

Old 03-26-06, 08:35 PM
There are several sources but to tell you the truth I have had great success with the stone enhancer sold at Home Depot. Better yet would be the product from Aqua-Mix, some HD's sell Aqua-Mix brand. It comes in 'gloss' and 'matte' finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: