Granite tiles over ceramic tiles

Old 03-28-06, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Granite tiles over ceramic tiles

I plan on installing 12X12 granite tiles over 4X4 ceramic tiles on my kitchen counter tops. The existing 2 year old ceramic tiles were professionally installed are in excellent condition, no cracks at all. I know that some folks do not recommend this process, however hopefully some do. It would be extremely difficult and time consuming the remove the existing counter tops and start all over again. My plan is to thoroughly clean the existing grout and thoroughly scarify the ceramic tiles. I will be using a premium quality polymer modified thin set and Laticrete Spectrlock pro grout for the 1/16 joints. I do have some granite experience is this area, but am I making a big mistake to do this project?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-06, 07:23 PM
Whats under your 4x4 tile? Plywood, how many layers and how thick? Formica? How are you going to finish the facing edge of the countertop? Wood trim, tile?

Old 03-28-06, 09:58 PM
There are apparently two layers of 5/8" plywood, a layer of polyethylene and wire mesh reinforced (cement/grout/mortar?) of approximately 1+ inch. My plan is to utilize approximate 2" strips of granite for the edge. High gloss polyurethane to treat the exposed edges. Any advice on scarifying the ceramic and the grout joint material would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by olephil; 03-30-06 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-29-06, 08:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't see any reason your plan won't work. The problem will be scarifying the surface but it can be done. A belt sander can be used most aggressively for scarifying but the readily available (aluminum oxide) belts won't last long. If you could locate some silicon-carbide sanding belts they would work much better. I special order my silicon-carbide belts from Braxton-Bragg Company in Knoxville Tennessee.