Rebuild shower or simply repair?

Old 03-30-06, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rebuild shower or simply repair?

I've searched some, and can't find any material that is similar.

We have a house from the late 1960s, and are doing a renovation. The shower stall (3 wall, 3' x 4' x 7', all covered in 4" ceramic tile, including the base) appears to be in perfect working order. We want to change the tile to update/modernize the shower, and have had a mix of bids that are low--to simply chip away existing tile, let us adjust the plumbing, then put on new tile, to very high--complete tearout and rebuild.

We're looking at selling in 3-5 years. Is it risky to go with the low bid? What are the risks? Do you really have to do a complete tearout every time?

Thanks-
Michael

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-06, 04:18 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I would not want to retile that pan without replacing it after 40 years. You got your money's worth out of that shower but now its time to replace it. New pan, new plumbing new everything. It takes more time and money to try to remove tile without damaging whats below than it is worth. Leave the future owners of that house 3-5 years from now with a shower that will be done right and last. I honestly don't know what you mean by chip away tile and adjust the plumbing.