Mom in need of ceramic tile advice

Old 04-01-06, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Mom in need of ceramic tile advice

Hi there, yes I am attempting to tile a floor all by my lonesome! I have a couple of questions. I am tiling a 13 x 21 room with 12x12 ceramic tile. I would like to know if I can apply directly over the plywood flooring or if I must first put some sort of other base?? If I can apply directly to the plywood (please GOD!!!!!) what type of mastic should I use? Last question - is it ok to install a wood stove on top of ceramic tile? would I have any problem with heat emitted from the stove damaging the tile etc? If so any other recommendation??

I don't get to this board much so if someone can email me it would be most appreciated! thank you. [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-06, 11:14 AM
Posting your email is part of the long list of "no no's" around here, so expect it to be deleted by one of the moderators in short time. Come back to this thread for all your tile questions during this project and we'll walk you through all of it step by step.

No, you cannot tile directly to the plywood subfloor. To know if your floor is strong enough for tile, please post back with your joist size, the spacing between, and how long they span from support to support. Also, how thick is your subfloor and how many layers?

At the very least, you will need cement board or membrane over your existing subfloor.

Mastic won't be used anywhere in your project either. It's only for walls in dry areas, tile 8x8 or less, and not stone. You will be needing bagged thinsets that you mix with water.

Old 04-01-06, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by inagy
Hi there, yes I am attempting to tile a floor all by my lonesome! I have a couple of questions. I am tiling a 13 x 21 room with 12x12 ceramic tile. I would like to know if I can apply directly over the plywood flooring or if I must first put some sort of other base?? If I can apply directly to the plywood (please GOD!!!!!) what type of mastic should I use? Last question - is it ok to install a wood stove on top of ceramic tile? would I have any problem with heat emitted from the stove damaging the tile etc? If so any other recommendation??

I don't get to this board much so if someone can email me it would be most appreciated! thank you. [email protected]
OH boy... there are several considerations to go by before laying tile especially in a space that large. First how long is the joist run under the floor? much over 10 feet and it is advisable to either shore it up from below or double (asister) the joist. In any case it is never advisable to just set tile on top of 3/4" ply. You are going to need an additional subfloor at least another 1/2" and I would advise a layer of 1/4" cementboard on top of that. Ceramic tends to be bit more forgiving then stone tile but still needs support to avoid cracking. I know everyone including myself would love to just jump in and start laying the tile but it is the prep work that makes the job a success. If the floor fails after you have laid the tile you have a big mess on your hands. As to the wood stove. Tile or not I don't think anyone would suggest not using a cement liner under the stove. If you wanted to get creative you could run the tile up and around the liner to give it a nice look. I would find the time to check this thread as opposed to you email there may be other replies and it benifits you to get more than one point of view.