I am redoing my kitchen

Old 04-04-06, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am redoing my kitchen

I am redoing my kitchen and want to use Ceramic tile on the floor, the existing sub floor I did about 18 yrs ago. I used shims every 12 the length of the floor, Screwed them down every layer topped with plywood screwed every 6. The floor is as solid as when it was new. There is lonolemin on it. The questions? 1. Do I have to remove the lonolimen? If so it is glued down with a layer tarpaper how do I remove this? Is cement board good to use under the tile?

Thank You
John

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-06, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure what you mean with the shims but a good rule of thumb for a tile floor is 1 1/8" minimum of total underlayment not including the cementboard which is not structurally rated. It is best to use 1/4" "wonderboard" on top of the 1 1/8". I put down the wonderboard with a layer of thinset (1/4" notched trowel) and a grid of screws about every 6" to 8". Sometimes extra support for your joist are necessary either by a support column from below or by doubling the joist (asistering) this will depend on the legnth of the run.

Old 04-04-06, 04:43 PM

To level the floor I had to raise one side about . There is almost no gap between each row of shims. The kitchen is 10 wide and 15 long, the joist run is 15. At the entrance to the kitchen the floor is 1 5/8 high already. Also the lonolimen does it have to be remover and if so what is the best way to do this.

Old 04-04-06, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by johnc
To level the floor I had to raise one side about . There is almost no gap between each row of shims. The kitchen is 10 wide and 15 long, the joist run is 15. At the entrance to the kitchen the floor is 1 5/8 high already. Also the lonolimen does it have to be remover and if so what is the best way to do this.
Are you saying the kitchen floor is already 1 5/8" above the joist or above the floor leading in at the threshhold? Are you saying you spaced shims along the joist? Don't know why 3/4" would be a problem at 15'. I would remove the linoleum regardless so whatever you put on next does not develop pockets underneath. It usually comes off pretty easy. I like to use a pole like scraper so you can get both arms into it not to mention saves your back better than being on all fours.

Old 04-05-06, 04:44 PM
Yes 1 5/8 above the floor in the next room. The shims run along the joists. There is a tongue and groove sub floor under the shims.