ceramic tile steps into whirlpool

Old 04-07-06, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceramic tile steps into whirlpool

I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom. I basically gutted everything, and am putting in a shower/whirlpool combo with the surround tiled.

One problem I ran into is that the apron in front of the whirlpool is 5" outand the whirlpool lip is about 4" out. So it takes quite a large stretch to get in there. The way it is set up now, I can't really move the apron back because it lines up with a stud for tiling.

Someone had recommended putting a built in step covered in ceramic tile. I haven't seen many of these, but the idea sounds good. is there a way to make the step safe (wet ceramic tile is probably pretty slippery)? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
ekaplan1020

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-06, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you can make the step the full width of the tub, from wall to wall, it would look the best. Make the depth about 1' so your foot will step completely on the surface. Build it out of 2x4', braced every 12" across the surface of the step. Cover it with 3/4" BCX plywood on the top then use 1/2" cement board, set in thinset, on the surface and 1/2" cement board on the facing and everything screwed into the studs. If it were me I would even put a paint on waterproof membrane over the cement board on the step just for added protection.
Then use the floor tile on the step. The facing could be the wall tile or the floor tile, which ever looks better in your eye.. Go to www.schluter.com to see examples of metal edge trim pieces you could use at the edge of the step, including one called Rondec - Step, and Jolly, which is made from PVC and comes in a lot of colors. There are other companies like Blanke and National Metal that make similar products and you can google for info on them. The Schluter website is pretty handy as a reference and to move around in to find the type of edge treatment you want.