Which Caulk for Ceramic Tile

Old 04-09-06, 03:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which Caulk for Ceramic Tile

I'm putting my bathroom back together after installing ceramic tiles, and I need to caulk behind/under the baseboards - (the gap between the drywall and the tile) and behind the vanity. I'm wondering if I should use silicone or latex caulk. I already have the special caulk that matches the sanded grout for along the tub, but nobody will see the caulk in this area--although I do have plenty of extra 'special' caulk, so I suppose I could use that too.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-06, 06:54 AM
It's getting covered with moulding so neatness isn't the issue. Use silicone. A deep perimeter gap, thinset, backer, thinset, tile will need foam backer rod down that gap first.

Old 04-10-06, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by Tilebri
It's getting covered with moulding so neatness isn't the issue. Use silicone. A deep perimeter gap, thinset, backer, thinset, tile will need foam backer rod down that gap first.
OK, thanks. Done with that.

One more-- Do you pros usually caulk after putting in the baseboard along the tiles? If so, should I use the color-matched sanded caulk, or silicone (white or clear)? Tiles are tan and grout is 'antique white'.

I found that sanded caulk a lot harder to work with than regular caulk--it had air bubbles in it and I had a hard time 'tooling' it with my finger.

Thanks again!

Old 04-10-06, 08:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In my experience the sanded-caulks have a shorter shelf-life than the others and I too have experienced caulk that was hard to work with and burped a lot. If you will use a wet finger you can usually rejuvenate the caulk as you tool it with your finger. I usually use a wet sponge to work and finish the caulk.

If you are talking about a wood baseboard over tile and caulking there.........it depends. Some tiles that show lippage and cause the baseboard to rise leaving gaps under it probably should be caulked for a neater appearence. It's up to you. I personally think the grout-matching caulk would be the thing to use in this case but nat always, just depends on the size of the gaps.