Painting bathroom tile floor?

Old 04-15-06, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting bathroom tile floor?

Hi all, we are doing a minor bathroom renovation, replacing the countertop, painting the cabinets, new lights. All that has gone well, but it has highlighted how dated the tile floor is. The floor is in good shape, just not nice to look at. I'm not really into the idea of pulling everything out of there, tearing up the floor, and laying down a new one. Is it possible to paint the tile floor to change the look of it? If not, any other suggestions short of replacing the tile?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-06, 09:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it possible to paint the tile floor
No!

HOWEVER, Installing new tile over existing tile can be done.

Old 04-15-06, 09:19 AM
How would that work? It would seem that the extra layer would make the new floor higher than those in the adjoining rooms (the bathroom has two entrances).

Also, would I need to remove the toilet and cabinet to do it? My real concern isn't so much the bathroom. We are using that as a practice area for tackling the kitchen, and I am really reluctant to remove the cabinets, frige, stove, washer/dryer, and hot water heater.

Can individual vinyl tiles be laid over an existing ceramic floor?

Thanks for your speedy reply.

-- jason

Old 04-15-06, 09:31 AM
Obviously this would result in a higher floor and there would be some small transition issues but these can usually be worked out depending on what the issues are.

YES, the toilet would have to be removed but you can tile-around the vanity.

In the kitchen, if you aren't willing to temporarily remove the stove and washer and dryer then you can forget installing any new floorcovering no matter what it is. You're not serious, right?

Depending where the water heater is you may be able to tile around it, the cabinets would not have to be removed.

Old 04-15-06, 09:36 AM
Yeah, with the kitchen it's really the hot water heater I am thinking of. The washer/dryer (stackable) and hot water heater sit next to each other in a closet in the kitchen with a fold-out door. What I was thinking is that I could even just tile up to the border and not worry about the "closet."

As far as the bathroom, I ned to remove the toilet anyway since the wax seal has failed, so as long as I can go around the cabinet, I think I can probably handle this.

I'm enjoying this, I just hope I can keep my wife from killing me!

Thanks again for the advice.

Old 04-15-06, 09:53 AM
OK, this is do-able. If you don't tile in the utilities-closet you still may have a door issue to overcome if the doors have pivot hinges and not jambside hinges. In any event the doors may have to be cut off a little but thats typical and no big deal.

If the hinges are pivot-style then they too will have to be raised and the thing to do is to take the tile into the closet slightly, take it to a point equal to the inside of the door jambs, the hinges can then be placed on top of the tile, just depends on the hinge style. If the door hinges are on the door jambs there is no issue.

In the case of the toilet, the floor will obviously be raised and this will then require you to use "two" wax rings instead of one maybe. The rings are stackable as long as you don't get carried away. There are also flange-extenders available.

Tiling "around" cabinets is done all the time, no big deal there.

I can't help you with you wifely issues, does she own a gun?