Laying tile over concrete

Old 04-25-06, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laying tile over concrete

Hi,
I am planning on laying tile over a concrete floor and have narrowed my choice of subfloor to two choices, (finished height is an issiue).
One is to lay tile underlay directly onto the concrete floor and tile over that.
The second choice, and the one I would prefer, is to lay 3/4
solid foam on the concrete with a layer of 3/4 plywood over that. My concern with this option is whether or not this is going to be rigid enough for a tile floor.
Any advice would be apreciated,
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-06, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why on earth would you want to do all of that? Laminating "things" over concrete usually isn't done and isn't expected to hold up under a tile installation.

Especially when tile can so easily be installed directly to the concrete.

Old 04-25-06, 03:52 PM
Bud,
I guess my main concern is that although the floor is reasonably level there are a few spots that are a little high, I figured laying a subfloor would be easier than leveling the entire floor.
Also that maybe with a layer of rigid foam the floor would be warmer.

Old 04-25-06, 04:52 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
So I'm not following. How does puttin all those layers on the floor make it any flatter or level?

Old 04-25-06, 05:02 PM
Hard one to follow. Concrete is the best surface to lay tile on period barring any serious crumbling or pitting. If you have some slight dips in spots you can always flash patch. If there is such a thing as a perfectly level floor I have yet to see it.

Old 04-25-06, 05:56 PM

okay, I'm getting that laying the tile directly over the concrete will be the best option.
I guess I'd just never seen tile layed over anything but some sort subfloor or underlay.
Thanks

Old 04-26-06, 09:27 AM
For centuries craftsmen have been installing tile over concrete. The reason you are seeing underlayments being used is probably because you are seeing tile being installed over wood structures and they are trying to duplicate the qualities of concrete by using underlayments.

Now, what is the condition of the concrte? Any cracks? If yes, describe them please.

Old 04-27-06, 04:02 PM
Actually the floor is in very good shape, no cracks at all, there are some low spots close to the walls and doors, I could raise these areas with concrete patch or leveling cement. The floor has been painted though, not sure what kind of paint was used, but it is not flaking or chipped anywhere. Will the paint have to be removed? And if so how?

Old 04-27-06, 04:10 PM
humm.. I'm not sure about the paint. If it is down real good I would probably just roll over it. I can't see how it would really hurt anything. Perhaps someone who has come across this before will chime in but I don't really see a problem with it.

Old 04-27-06, 05:37 PM
Yet another argueable area.

Tiling over paint is tabu. Paint is a known bondbreaker when it comes to tile installations and it is recommended that the paint be mechanically removed by means of shotblasting or sandblasting or even grinding. No chemical strippers are to be used as they will leave an unmanageable chemical residue.

Yow I know....now all you are seeing is dollar-signs.

It's your call ck. I should advise you that if you should decide to tile over the paint and take your chances you should spend a few extra dollars on the thinset in hopes that it will give you a better bond than a regular modified thinset would.

Any filling or levelling you do should be done with a portland cement based patch product and for that matter you could even use the same thinset you will use to install the tiles.