cutting slate?

Old 04-27-06, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cutting slate?

Im wondering if my cheapo 80$ wet tile saw will be good to cut the slate that is going in our bathroom. it worked fine on the ceramic tiles.

Also i was wondering....how the heck do you make the cut for around the round drain??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-06, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
TB it will cut it for a while but you will probably use-up a blade pretty quick. Slate has been known to take-its-toll on diamond blades.

What drain? With your saw it's going to be tricky but it can be done by carefully nagging at the tile in all directions until you get it where you want it. You would be better off with a 4" right angle grinder and a diamond blade mouted to the grinder. Then you could work-wonders with your tile.

Old 04-27-06, 03:34 PM
assuming you can fit the material in your little saw it might make more sense to just use it seeing how much a larger one would cost. It costs close to $100 to replace with a decent blade on my 10" but couldn't be near that much for the little ones. It also might be worth looking into renting a tubsaw for ease of use if nothing else.

Old 04-27-06, 06:48 PM
we have a grinder, i wonder if the blade from the saw would fit on there....

we have slate in the shower also, that is where the drain is.

Old 04-27-06, 07:09 PM
TB,

Take from me you don't want to be swapping those blades back and forth. You can buy a decent 4" diamond blade for about $24 at most home centers, Home Depot has them.

When you buy one though be sure to get the one that also has the small brass bushing in the package because all of the shafts aren't always the same size and the bushing will allow you to adapt-downward to a smaller shaft if need be.

Also I would buy the blade that has has the smooth rim but is also serrated, NOT SEGMENTED, but serrated. This will be more aggressive for the slate and you will be using it 'dry' and heat will build quickly so you want and aggressive blade. Don't overwork it or overheat it though.

Once you have this little guy on a grinder you'll be surprised how often you will use it on your tile project. This is by far one of the most useful tools I own.

Old 04-27-06, 07:12 PM
very helpful info. thx a bunch

Old 04-27-06, 07:19 PM
Not a problem glad to be of service. You should also have some safety goggles while running the grinder. Slate is very sandy and will throw a lot of grit during the cutting process.

Old 04-27-06, 07:22 PM
that one we are on top of! always.