tile over vinyl

Old 05-10-06, 09:24 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tile over vinyl

We want to put ceramic tile in the kitchen. we now have sheet vinyl there. it was glued down very well, can we tile directly over the vinyl or do i have to strip it off and install over sub floor? sub flooring is probably1-1 1/2 inches thick (original t and g plus ply wood over the top) I could put hardi board over the vinyl.

thanks

Old 05-10-06, 01:57 PM
Please read this Sticky regarding why tile won't work over vinyl.

Old 05-11-06, 05:38 AM
C
tile over vinyl

is my only alternative to peel off the vinyl and hand scrape the backing and adhesive left behind? I spent 2 hours last nite and cleared two square feet. There must be an easier way other than cutting the sub floor up and installing new.
please advise.

Old 05-11-06, 08:25 PM
One alternative is to do nothing and run the risk of seeing your tiles crack in about a year.

Try using a utility knife to cut the vinyl into 2' squares, then use a wallpaper scraper to pull it up. If you expose the paper under the vinyl by scoring and slashing at the vinyl you could put some hot water on it to soften it up prior to scraping. There is no easy way, its a hard time consuming job, sometimes the water makes it easier.

Old 05-12-06, 06:15 AM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Whats under the vinyl? Usually is some sort of 1/4" underlayment (luan or particle board) that has to go anyway. If this is the case you can remove the vinyl and underlayment all at once.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: