Cutting Slate

Old 05-24-06, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cutting Slate

We are installing slate (12x12 square) on top of our concrete backyard patio, what's the best way to cut it? I'm finding some info that says to use a wet tile saw and some that says to use a hand wet/dry masonry saw, like the DEWALT DW861W. Any suggestions??

I would prefer not to rent a saw so that I have some flexibility and can stretch out the project over a couple days (rather than paying $60 a day for the rental) the Dewalt seemed like a good option... Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-06, 01:04 PM
tub saw would be your best bet. If you don't have too many cuts and you really don't want to rent one I would just put a masonry blade on a regular skill saw. If I do that I have a cheap "skil" brand saw that I use. I wouldn't do that to my good saw. It will cut dry but water helps. If you can, have someone point a trickle of water on the material as you cut it

Old 05-24-06, 04:14 PM
Buy One?

If I were to buy a tub saw, do you have any suggestions?

Old 05-24-06, 04:54 PM
Well that is kinda a tough one because there are so many. It goes anywhere from $1500-$300. Target being at the top of the heap. I got a full size Target knockoff from ebay for around $400 and it works amazingly well for the price difference. I had to replace the pump but I expected that before I ordered it. It is a Chinese special named "Cal-Hawk" Home depot has a couple of table models that would fit 12"X12" nicely. Just about any one of them will do the job. If you plan to buy it but probably not use it very often if again I would lean towards the cheap. The only kind I would recommend staying away from are the one's with the blade on the table like a wood table saw. You want one with a sliding table, pump, and a overhead blade. I would rather have the skill saw with the diamond blade then one of those.

Old 05-24-06, 05:31 PM
Lately, if I'm buying a power tool that I'll rarely ever use, I look to Harbor Freight tools. It's all cheap stuff made in China, but they seem to work adequately. I was in their store the other day and I saw a decent looking wet saw for $40--that would have come in handy for my last tile project! It may work a lot better if you bought a quality Dewalt blade for it instead of the one that comes with it. Here's a few on their site:

http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearc...+saw&Submit=Go