Wonderboard Backerboard Insallation

Old 06-27-06, 10:42 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wonderboard Backerboard Insallation

I have a vinyl floor in my kitchen and would like to change to ceramic tile floor. The sub floor is tongue and groove wood and has gap about 1/16 inches to 1/4 inches between each piece wood. I was told that if I want to install Wonderboard for backerboard, I will have to use mortar in between sub-floor and backerboard to avoid pop up in the future if floor moves during earthquake. However, I want to save sub-floor (not using mortar, but just nail down backerboard) for the future if I want to change to hardwood or vinyl floor. Can I just nail down backerboard? If I can, will roof nail do the work or has to use screw and how long of nail do I need (backerboard is 1/4 inches thick)? Thansk in advance!

Old 06-27-06, 01:09 PM
D
Can I use particle board or plywood board on top of sub-floor before installing cement board? If I can, what kind of board is better and what size? Any recommandation is higher appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-27-06, 01:25 PM
B
I would consider laying tile a permanent solution and forget trying to make it so you can revert later. Placing a layer of thinset under the backerboard is simply the correct way to lay it and I doubt anyone will tell you it's ok to do otherwise. Before you even lay the backerboard the vinyl should be removed and an additional 1/2" exterior grade ply (not particle) installed for added floor strength. No nails should be used on either additional subfloor or backerboard. There are special screws just for backerboard like "rock on" brand.

Old 06-27-06, 04:15 PM
D
Thanks for the replied! Can I just add 1/4" of ply wood to avoid transition to the lower hardwood floor or tile floor next to my kitchen? Do screws need to screw backboard to plywood as well or just thin set should be good enough? How long of screws do I need for plywood and backboard? Thanks!

Old 06-28-06, 08:36 AM
No. You want at least 1/2" plywood.

You need to screw the plywood down,
and then thinset the backerboard,
then screw the backerboard.

The screws hold the backerboard down, the thinset is there
to fill voids and avoid movement of the floor.
They sell special backerboard screws where the backerboard is sold.
I reccomend square drive ones, I've had better luck than the phillips head screws.

Old 06-28-06, 11:19 AM
D
Hi JPicasso, thanks for your replied. How thick of thinset do I need between plywood and backboard? How long of screw do I need to screw plywood and how long of screw do I need to screw the thinset? I read wonderboard instruction and it say use roof nail to nail down backboard. Does roof nail works OK?

Old 06-28-06, 11:53 AM
B
Originally Posted by diyman
Hi JPicasso, thanks for your replied. How thick of thinset do I need between plywood and backboard? How long of screw do I need to screw plywood and how long of screw do I need to screw the thinset? I read wonderboard instruction and it say use roof nail to nail down backboard. Does roof nail works OK?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx comments and/or remarks removed xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Forum Monitors Note:
Unprofessional comments and/or remarks removed.
Kindly adhere to the rules and policies of this site and those of a professional in your field of expertise. Be courtous, polite and kind to those you are willing to help. Members come to this site to get answers, not insults or rude remarks, etc.

NO NAILS. USE THE SPECIAL SCREWS SOLD BY THE WONDERBOARD. 1/4" notched trowel is fine for spreading thinset under the backerboard. Have to use a little common sense when thinking of screw lengths. 1 1/2" or so is fine for both. If they stick through a little no big deal so long as you don't hit any pipes or conduit.

Last edited by Forum Monitor; 06-28-06 at 04:27 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: