How to restore old floor tiles

Old 07-13-06, 05:32 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to restore old floor tiles

Hi, we just moved into our apartment a few weeks ago. The tile floors run from the entrance into the kitchen, and the 2 bathrooms. I'm not sure what type of tile floor it is. It has no glaze, not smooth and looks almost like cement, and is black in color. Personally ,I dont like the tiles and the color, but i could live with it. The only thing that I have an issue with is that the tile looks really dirt. Parts of it are faded, and the grout is stained. I used TSP to clean them , and i think that made them worse. It was actually stripping the color of the tiles. Even before i used TSP, parts of the tiles were faded, so i guess the previous owners also used a very stong cleaner.
Anyways, I would like to restore the finish of these tiles, and am not sure where to start. I've heard of tile painting uusing expoxy paint, but am not sure how well it works.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-06, 07:02 PM
T
If they are stone yes, if glazed ceramic, nothing can be done to them, probably just worn out, painting tile looks like crap and never do it to floors.

Old 07-14-06, 03:56 PM
V
I painted some old ceramic tile in my bathroom and lived with it for about a year. It was better than living with the ruined surface of the tile, and I had more pressing concerns to spend my $$ and time on. I used a primer called "Gripper" (I believe it's by Glidden) with oil enamel over it. I actually got compliments on the floor and no one ever guessed it was painted. My one caution if you try it is -- don't use a light-colored paint. It stains very easily.

VL