bathroom disaster

Old 07-27-06, 03:43 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation bathroom disaster

My husband and I noticed this weekend that our ceramic tile in our upstairs bathroom was lifting from the floor, so I pulled up the toilet to investigate and found it had been leaking under all the tiles. Thinking I would simply pull the tile and replace the subfloor as needed, I soon found that the subfloor was not plywood but, believe it or not, particle board. Under that is a layer of plywood, but I cannot get the tile seperated from the particle board without breaking them, and I'm trying to salvage them, or taking chunks of the particle board up with the tile. I am completely overwhelmed at this point. Any input on how I should proceed?
We were planning on removing tile, fixing subfloor, laying durock, and then resetting tile, but at this point I can't even get the tile off. Help please!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-06, 05:17 AM
H
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Don't worry about removing chunks of the particle board. All the particle board has to come up. It should have never been used in the first place. You'll have to tear out the tile and particle board just leaving the plywood. If the plywood is wet and rotted it may have to go as well. It will be near impossible to remove all those tiles without breaking them and then removing the mortar, adhesive or whatever they used. New tiles are in order. How thick is the plywood under the particle board and what is its condition?

Old 07-28-06, 10:44 AM
S
Plywood seems to be 1/2 inch- it is in decent condition except around the toilet and part of the bath where it is rotted. Am attempting to pull all tile, particle board, and the plywood subfloor around the toilet and bath where it got wet. Will keep you updated- also, do I remove the toilet flange to get the plywood around it up, or is there another way?

Old 07-28-06, 10:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I know this is stating the obvious, but I live on the paranoid side of caution - make sure to fix the toilet leak before you start putting down anything new on the floor.

Old 07-29-06, 08:04 PM
S
subfloor condition

I was able to pull all the particle board and tile, it actually came up in one giant piece, but I need some direction- there is definitely water damage around toilet, but there is also some slight damage on basically all the 3 pieces of plywood subflooring. Instead of cutting out the bad chunks, should I just start all new to restore the integrity and avoid future issues?

Old 07-30-06, 06:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
You can replace all of it if you want, but there's nothing wrong with leaving what is in good shape.

Old 07-31-06, 10:26 PM
S
So after a closer look we found the plywood did not need replacing. We decided to go with hardiboard, since everyone said it was easier to cut, and it was! It took a very minimal effort, I removed the old toilet flange opting for a new one to avoid a repeat of the original problem, thank you mitch, and tomarrow tile should be completed!

Old 08-01-06, 03:00 PM
H
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
3/4" t&g plywood is bare bones minimum for cement board. I would suggest you use another layer of plywood (say 1/2") then 1/4" Hardi.