Shower pan dam corners

Old 07-27-06, 10:09 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower pan dam corners

Dam corners! I cut the last PVC liner at the corners and then glued on the dam corners. Leaked when I filled it half way with water. Doh! So I ripped up the liner and bought some more. This time I "hospital bed" folded the corners without the dam corners and now am ready to cut the corners at the dam and then glue the dam corners on.

I have been to the Oatey site and others looking for anything, a picture would be best, on how to cut the corners so I end up with a finished liner that works. How do I make this cut?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-06, 05:10 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Check out this link. Good pictures on how to do. Also saw you posted this on another web site as well.

http://johnbridge.com/mortar_bed_shower_floor.htm

Old 09-05-06, 10:09 PM
T
Angry Trying again

Thanks for the link. Yes, you caught me on the other site. This thing has me stumped so I am trying everywhere. I checked out the pictures of the final product, but how exactly do you make the cuts?

Is there a step by step of pictures somewhere? Tile guys must do this a few times a week, but it is my second time and I think I already cut too much again. Help, please.

Old 09-06-06, 02:32 PM
H
Tyger52

Cut the liner straight up from the curb up against the side of the wall. The liner will go up the wall and the cut piece will lap over the curb. Use corners that are big enough to cover the whole curb. If your corners are not, you can bond a piece of liner over the curb and up the side of the wall and then install your corners. Hope this helps.

Last edited by twelvepole; 09-06-06 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Extraneous comments and reference to another DIY forum website edited
Old 09-06-06, 06:21 PM
T
Still not 100% clear

Thanks Johnny,
I still am not clear on where to start the cut. Does the cut begin at the corner where the floor, curb and wall meet and then go up from there? Or does the cut begin at the top of the curb where the curb and wall meet? If the second choice, what about the fold that begins at the shower floor in the corner?

Last edited by twelvepole; 09-06-06 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Quoting entire post is distracting and redundant. Quote codes turned off.
Old 09-07-06, 01:25 PM
H
Tyger52

I think I understand your question. Fold your corner in the opposite direction away from the curb towards the abutting wall. Then make your cut from the curb up against the side wall. Fold the cut piece over the curb. Then you can bond your corner pieces. Are we getting close?

Old 09-09-06, 09:29 AM
T
Getting close

Johnny,

Thanks for your patience. I think I understand where to make the cut except for one thing. Do I begin the cut at the shower floor and cut upward? Or do I begin the cut at the top of the dam and cut upward. Thanks for staying with me so far.

Old 09-09-06, 03:27 PM
H
Begin at the top of the dam and cut up.

Old 09-11-06, 11:32 AM
T
I was afraid you'd say that

I was in a rush last week trying to make an inspection date and so I think I cut it too low. One one corner next to the dam, the fold is cut slightly below the dam.

If I use the Oatey dam corner patch, do you think it will hold or should I pull out this liner and start over?

Old 09-11-06, 01:31 PM
H
Does the dam corner cover the entire cut? If so you should be ok. If not you can make a patch with a spare piece of liner and the oatey bonding adhesive.

Old 09-18-06, 10:01 AM
T
Unhappy Leaked again

I water tested my PVC shower pan liner this weekend. Only one corner leaked this time, which is better than the last time with three leaks.

I half expected this corner to leak because I cut the liner in the corner below the dam. The problem with the dam corner patch was that the fold puts a bump in area over the patch. This makes some pressure to push the patch off the liner.

According to the Oatey glue instructions, after 20 seconds of pressure, you can release the pressure but you aren't suppose to put strain on the bond until it is cured. I could not figure out a way to maintain pressure against the bump from the fold, so I guess I am missing something here.

A few pictures of the whole process would REALLY help!

Old 09-18-06, 10:45 AM
H
Tyger

You can put a small patch over the cut and then the dam corner over the patch. The key with the patch is to get that piece of the liner that is cut to lay flat and then glue the patch.

http://johnbridge.com/mortar_bed_shower_floor.htm
Check out photos 7 & 8 here.

http://www.compotite.com/blue_inst_eng.htm
Some good details here as well.

Last edited by HeresJohnny; 09-18-06 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-18-06, 12:41 PM
T
I think I get it now

Thank you Johnny!

I saw some of these pictures before but your post made me look harder at them and I think I get it now. Thanks again! I will let you know when I pass inspection, hopefully this week.

Old 09-18-06, 02:25 PM
R
Home Depot sells the premade corners by Otaey for just this purpose. I've used them many times w/success. They are usually in a cubbyhole somewhere near where you got the liner. If you don't see, ask some KNOWLDGEABLE floor rep to find/look it up for you.

Old 09-18-06, 05:23 PM
H
Tyger

Great to hear. Let me know how it turns out.

Old 09-29-06, 02:04 PM
T
Passed rough inspection!

Yippee! Thank you, one and all, for your help. Inspector just passed me and said he wished I could come do work on his house. The electrical permit was combined with the shower pan permit, and it was the electrical that took forever to get right. But I did have the pan full of water for several days just as a good test. Now the wife and I are going to celebrate!

Old 09-30-06, 02:54 PM
H
Go ahead and celebrate. But tomorrow its back to work. You still have a shower to finish.

Old 10-01-06, 05:44 AM
T
Long time no talk Tyger52. Good Job

Old 08-04-12, 12:56 PM
K
Question Can I make the dam corners

I can't find them for sale anywhere in Tucson Arizona.
Surprising because I see so many tiled showers here.

I checked Ace, Lowes and Home Depot. Home Depot shows them available in California as the closest to me... A little too far to run over and grab some.

Can I make them myself?

Old 08-04-12, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You're into a 6 year old thread, and it may fall on deaf ears. What do you need the corners for?

Old 08-05-12, 07:24 AM
H
You can buy the corners online. Google the Noble Company. Make sure you order the right ones, they hav cpe and PVC.