radiant heat under tile in basement

Old 07-28-06, 07:36 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
radiant heat under tile in basement

I'm finishing my basement and plan on putting tile in the small bathroom. I am considering using one of the electric radiant heat products under the tile to make them a little less cold under foot.

My concern, though, is that it will end up being a wasted effort because most of the heat will end up getting sucked up by the cold slab instead of going up to the tiles. Has anyone done this? How long from the time the heater kicks in until the tile actually feels warm?

I noticed that a couple of the manufacturers of the radiant mats recommend using an insulated tile underlayment to ensure that the heat from the mat goes up to the tile, not down to the slab. Insulated tile underlayment doesn't seem to exist at the home centers. Any idea where I could find a product like this? I wouldn't mind the extra thickness of the underlayment as it would actually help the tile floor match up to the rest of the basement flooring where I plan on using the DriCore subfloor system.

So, I guess the bottom line is: Is it even worth doing the radiant heat direct on slab? If not, would using an insulated underlayment help? If so, where would I find such a thing?

Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-06, 07:46 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My cousins way way up north don't have electric radiant heat under tiles. But they have a heated water piping system under the tiles, and a wood burner out side that heats the water. They have no regrets in going this route for heating they love it, no idea about wasted energy to the floor, it stays very warm in the room in the winter and is very nice on the feet. This is a very large room to probably 40ft x 40ft.

I would think electric would be very very expensive to operate, and you should just wear slippers or put area carpets down.

Old 07-28-06, 01:39 PM
D
Yeah, hydronic radiant heat is wonderful. I'd love to have it throughout my house. It's VERY different from the small room electric radiant heat systems, though. With a system like that, the whole point is to heat the slab. It runs continuously and maintains a constant temperature. This serves as the primary heating system for the room. The electric radiant heat systems, though, are just designed to warm the tile itself, not the room.

Old 08-04-06, 10:47 AM
P
Radiant in floor heat

Speaking as someone who sells the product you are asking about and the fact that I have it installed on slab in my home I can say that yes it is worth it. You have to coinsider a couple of things though. One, insulation always helps to provide more heat where you want it. So an insulating underlayment is a good idea as long as it conforms to the proper codes for your area with regard to installing the radiant heating and the tile on top of it. It will save you money in the long run because your in floor "Thermostat" won't cycle on as much as if you had it on slab only. I have used mine in a room that was raised with plywood and insulated over slab. Previously this room was heated with a fan forced heater. Since installing the heated tiles we haven't had to use it. Not to imply that your situation is the same but that this is my experience. Personally there's nothing like stepping on to a warm floor on a cold winter's day!

I hope this helps you decide.

Peter