3 season porch flooring ???s

Old 08-14-06, 10:32 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 season porch flooring ???s

I have a 3 season porch that is a concrete slab. It has no cracks, but slopes away from the house about 1". Sometimes the floor gets water from outside it if there is a heavy storm---about once a year. We live in a climate where it goes below zero, but not all that often.

I want to put something on the floor---I ripped out the ticky-tacky 80's green indoor/outdoor carpet.

Is ceramic/porcelain tile the best bet? We may need to move in a few years so this is not my "dream house". I just want something that looks good and is functional.

Are the super big ceramic/porcelain tiles a bad idea bc of the sloping? Would they crack more easily?

Thanks for all your help

Old 08-15-06, 01:21 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Porcelain tile or quarry tile would be best if area is subject to freezing because these tiles are frostproof. Large frostproof tiles on concrete should not crack. Larger tiles over wood subfloors where there is movement tend to be more prone to cracking than smaller tiles.

All carpet adhesive will have to be removed and a thinset recommended for use over adhesive will have to be used due to adhesion issues.

Old 08-15-06, 02:57 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need the slope for drainage. puddled water would leave excessive amounts soaking into the grout and under the tile which when frozen will cause tiles to crack or pop up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: