how long before I can use the shower again?

Old 08-15-06, 06:34 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how long before I can use the shower again?

My bathroom shower has tile on the walls (the 4" square tiles). I have cracked grout between a lot of the tiles and I want to cut the gout out today with a grout saw and regrout it tonight.

Can I use the shower tomorrow?

I'll also be recaulking where the tile meets the tub.

Oh ya, and does this grout need to be sealed?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-06, 06:09 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, your post sat here for a couple days 'cause I don't think anyone likes to be the bearer of bad news. If the grout is cracking all over the field of your tile it's a good indication the substrate is shot. Your new grout will probably crack in short time. Sealing the grout is optional and only to assist in maintaining the grout. It will do nothing to waterproof the grout or make it stronger or more resistant to cracking. Normal portland cement based grout, I tell people to wait atleast 3 days, it takes 28 days to reach full cure. If you were duped into buying a premixed grout, it will wash out in time no matter how long you wait so it's up to you how long to wait before allowing it to start washing out.

We'd all be happy to help you through replacing the entire surround. It's what you really need to do and it's well within the grasp of a diyer.