Colored Caulking for Ceramic Tile?

Old 08-18-06, 05:17 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Colored Caulking for Ceramic Tile?

All of the grout I used for my ceramic tile has turned dark and dirty and I don't like it.

I have been told that I could have used a colored caulk instead of grout.
Also that the caulk will come clean when I clean the floor. Is this true?

If this is true, then
1) Can I just grazed the top layer of my dirty grout and replace it with this colored caulk?

2)Would this work, or would I have to remove all of the existing grout and replace with the caulk?

Thanks for any input.

Old 08-18-06, 05:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I wouldn't use caulking, because caulking is flexable it doesn't dry to a hard finish and would get dirtier quicker.

Try and see if you can get your grout clean and then apply a grout sealer over it. Or regrout and then seal.

Old 08-18-06, 05:37 PM
N
I did seal the grout after I put it down. It was the kind that I just sprayed on.

What really works? The spray sealer doesn't work at all.

Thanks

Old 08-18-06, 08:12 PM
N
I just tried to clean my grout with grout cleaner and it really doesn't look any better.

My grout lines are 1/4 inch. Would it work if I removed half of the grout and regrouted with the grout 'with out sand'? I feel like that would be less poures and would seal better.

I just don't like the texture of the sandy grout.

Is this a bad idea?

Old 08-19-06, 05:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I'm a painter, not a tile man so I'm not the best one to answer about type of grout but I would see no problem with removing the top portion of the grout and regrouting. I'm not familiar with spray on sealer, all the grout sealer I have used/seen you brushed on the grout only keeping the tile clean.

Hopefully one of the tile pros will respond with more info.

Old 08-19-06, 09:23 AM
T
To regrout, you need to remone the grout to a depth of 1/8" or 2/3 the tile depth, whichever is greater. You need sanded grout in joints 1/8" or greater, nonsanded in joints 1/8" or less, 1/8" joints is your choice.

Spray sealers don't work. One in particular has allegedly killed atleast 2 people and lead to the hospitalization and debilitation of many many people. There are currently several lawsuits against Tile Perfect, the makers of Stand n Seal. Prior to people being sickened by it, I suggested against it because how could it evaporate off the tile but not the grout? Some sort of artificial intelligence within the chemical make up? Nah, in my opinion, just another in a long list of snake oil type products that company pushes to unsuspecting diyers.

There are great and very effective sealers on the market. Miracle 511, Aquamix sealers choice gold, etc, which are in the range of $30-$40 qt. Another option is epoxy grout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: