Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Can Floor Joist Be Furred to Level It? (Ceramic Tile Installation)

Old 08-26-06, 03:32 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Have cut out my entire bathroom subfloor in a complete remodel. Just had a contractor put in 3 new floor joists to beef up some that were damaged. These 3 are level with each other, but higher than the others. When I lay a 4' level or long straightedge across 4 or 5 joists, one or two are not in contact with the straitedge at all - maybe 1/8 - 1/4" below.

I know my older joists may be sagging just a bit 'cause the hallway floor shows some uneven parts. But without going to the expense of having a floor leveling beam put in, is it acceptable to just take up the space on top of the floor joists with furring strips?

I could also sister new joists a bit higher than the old. But no matter what I do, the new subfloor will be slightly higher at the perimter than the 2" of old subfloor that was left when the floor was cut out (the ol' circular saw only gets so close.)

Is this even worth worrying about? I'm tiling the floor with large tiles in this bath and am concerned about the floor surface being uneven from joist to joist. Can I level it by putting extra thinset under the cement board in places?

Just trying to find the quickest option that is a good one. Don't want to do some quick fix if it isn't right, though.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-06, 11:39 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would just glue and screw the new 3/4" plywood to the joist as they are. The 3/4" plwood is pretty ridgged, so it will either pull the new joist down a bit or pull the old up a bit. If after the plywood has been fully secured you still have a dip or just want it better, I would use a floor leveling cement before the thinset, cement board and tile.

Old 08-29-06, 06:42 AM
H
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Plane any high spots and shim low spots to get the joists as flat as possible before you put a new subfloor down. Screwing 3/4" plywood down without correcting this will force the pywood to follow the contour of the out of plane joists.

Always do any remaining leveling with self leveling compound on top of the plywood or cement board, never underneath. If you fix the joist problem now you wont have to worry about this though.

If you can afford the height a could floor for tile is 3/4" plywood followed by 1/2" plywood followed by 1/4" cement backer board.
If you are not sure about this just ask here and someone can give you the exact details.

Good luck with your project.