Kitchen Countertop/Bar

Old 09-16-06, 08:26 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Countertop/Bar

I am planning on tiling over the existing laminate countertop. I am a first timer so I have looked all over for the right process. My first step is to cover the laminate with cement backer board. However I would really like to extend the counter out further about 6-12" (not sure) to create more of a bar/eating area. So my question would be is this possible with the existing countertop, would cement backer board extended be strong enough to hold the weight of the tile? Any ideas on extending it would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jennifer

Old 09-17-06, 09:31 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I wouldnt trust the backer board extending beyond the original top to be strong enough by itself.
You could extend the depth of the original top with a piece of plywood the same thickness as the top and use bisquit joints to merge the 2 and add wood trim underneath it, at the sides and in the middle...and if it meets a wall on 1 or both sides, add at strip of wood under the top to support it. (Something I did to extend my top...but I didnt cover the top with tile..I used laminate).
...But Im not a tile expert...
Maybe someone else could chime in with some suggestions...!
Good luck, tho...!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: