Removing Tile Backsplash/Replacing Drywall

Old 09-24-06, 06:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Tile Backsplash/Replacing Drywall

I want to remove a tile backsplash that extends from my kitchen countertops up to the cabinets, and goes all the way around the kitchen.

I am going to *try* to remove the tiles without damaging the drywall too badly. But I realize that this is a long shot.

So my question is, how do I replace the drywall JUST in the section from my countertops up to the cabinets. Is this possible?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-06, 07:41 PM
There are a couple of different tools you can use. 1st is a utility knife. Use it to cut right along the line of the cabinets and continue cutting a little deeper each time until you feel the blade touch the studs. Then find the stud on each end of the damaged drywal and cut the drywall right in the middle of the stud so you have enough exposed to re-attach the new piece. Once this is done go to town removing the old drywall. Could be screwed or nailed, so remove accordingly. After that just cut a new piece of drywall to fit the area and attach, again with either screws or drywall nails. Depending on how you plan on finishing the new backsplash will determine how nice your mud job will need to be. You also may need to put a nail or two in the existing drywall where you cut the piece out to resecure it to the stud and make it flush with the new piece. Also if you happen to mis cut and not have enough stud to attach to just cut an appropriate length of stud board and attach it to the existing stud so there will be plenty of room for fastening.

Other tools you could use are rotory tools with cutting bits or a keyhole saw (drywall saw).

Hope this helps.
Mc

Old 09-24-06, 07:45 PM
Smile not a problem

Don't try to save the drywall, it will save you time to just tear off the tile and the drywall underneath. The drywall will tear up anyways if the tile was put on right and you would have to deal with getting the residue/thinset of the drywall. Go ahead and cut some clean straight lines splitting the 2x4 studs vertically at the end of the tile so you have something to screw the drywall to. Then cut along the top of your counter to the bottom of your cabinets and replace with new drywall. This will give you a nice clean smooth service to tile on.

Good luck!