Kitchen Floor Tile Install

Old 10-13-06, 12:10 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Floor Tile Install

I've torn up 3 layers of linoleum to install ceramic or porcelain tile in a 9'/14' kitchen. I have a house built in the 50's, 16" joists, two 1/2 sheets of plywood sub floor. Questions:

Is this sufficient to hold a 1/2" cement or 1/4" hardi backer board for the tile?

The sub floor is covered with a layer of asphalt paper, can I thinset right over this? Do I need some special mortar for this? Or do I need to get the paper off?

Thanks...

Old 10-13-06, 06:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remove the paper.
The two 1/2" plywood sheets should be good alleviate deflection between joists. You can use either thickness cement board. Both must be set in a layer of thinset combed with a 1/4" square notch trowel, then fasten the board with 1 & 1/4" galvanized roofing nails or backerboard screws. Tape the board seams with mesh tape and thincoat with modified thinset.

The other issue you have to address is joist deflection. If the weight of everything in the room causes the joists to bend under the weight there could be a problem. If you can post back with the size of the joists and the length of their unsupported span we can help you with that determination.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: