Installing Ceramic tile over Ceramic tile

Old 10-16-06, 02:24 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Installing Ceramic tile over Ceramic tile

Hi,

In my basement I have 6" X 6" ceramic tile (I think) and I would like to replace it 13" X 13" ceramic tiles. Can I just install the 13" tile on top of the 6" tile?? This will be my 1st tile job, so any help/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

sweetboy

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-06, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The moderators will tell you no, and thats what I would even say. The floor would be uneven most likely. Buy yourself a $30 tile scraper at Home Depot and tear it up.

Old 10-27-06, 09:45 AM
S
Will a chisel do? Also, I saw a 7" tile saw for $60 is this a good buy?? Is this sufficient to do a good job??

Thanks,

sweetboy

Old 10-27-06, 10:25 AM
H
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
You can tile over tile in some situations. What shape is the floor in. Any cracked or loose tile, any loose grout? What kinda tile is down now and what kinda tile do you intend to install?

Old 10-27-06, 11:32 AM
S
The floor has 8" X 8" ceramic tiles and I want to replace it with 13" X 13" ceramic tiles. The floor is pretty leveled.

sweetboy

Old 10-27-06, 11:59 AM
H
If no loose cracking tile or grout you can go over the old with the new. You'll need to hit the old floor with a belt sander to rough up the surface first. Use a good quality modified thinset to set the tile.

Old 10-27-06, 12:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That $60 7" tile cutter at Home Depot is.....cheap. I bought it thinking it would be faster then a scoring tile cutter, but I was wrong. It was almost impossible to cut a decent 12" tile on a 7" cutter, and it made a absolute mess. It was 5x faster for me to score it with that wheel then snap it. IMO.

Old 10-27-06, 12:32 PM
S
So what tool do you recommend that I use HotinOKC?? Remember this will be a first time for me...

sweetboy

Old 10-27-06, 01:19 PM
H
For ceramic tile a score and snap type tile cutter will be fine. That and a pair a nippers will probably be all you need. If you run into some complex cuts that you cant make with these tools you could rent a wet saw for a day or maybe mark the tiles and get someone that has a wet saw to cut them for you. Some home depots will do this for a $1 a tile.

Old 10-28-06, 12:07 AM
T
Make sure old tile is very, very clean and free of grease, oil, soil, wax, or anything that might interfere with adhesion.

Old 10-28-06, 10:23 AM
S
I need to make a correction! I said that the 8" X 8" tile was ceramic and it is not. It is actually Vinyl Composition Tile. So can I still lay ceramic over it??

Sorry for the confusion.

sweetboy

Old 10-28-06, 01:18 PM
T
While the subject of installing ceramic tile over vinyl flooring products is often debated, it tends to be generally discouraged and described as a do-at-your-own-risk project. Thus, it is recommended that old floor covering be removed. Doing so gives one an opportunity to inspect concrete for cracks and determine the need for a crack isolation membrane and the assurance of a good and long-lasting floor.

There seems to be some confusion over the type and size of tile that is currently on the basement floor. 12 x 12 VCT is the most common size.

Older floor coverings and adhesives prior to 1983 may contain asbestos. Most recommend that these not be disturbed. If removing VCT with scraper, as much of the adhesive as possible should be removed. Sometimes a heat gun is helpful and a 4" blade on a pole like a wallpaper scraper. Chemical strippers is not recommended as they can cause adhesion problems. Thinset for cutback adhesive would have to be used.

Should you decide to go ahead with installation over VCT, it will have to be very, very clean and scarified and a thinset or mastic for ceramic tile over vinyl. If tiles contain asbestos, scarifying would release fibers into the air.

There are floating floor products that look like ceramic tile. These are popular among DIYers due to ease of installation. In the event of asbestos, this option would leave the tile intact and undisturbed.

Old 10-29-06, 06:05 AM
H
No debate with me. Remove the vinyl tile. If you dont your job will most likely fail.