Do I need to remove glue?

Old 10-29-06, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need to remove glue?

I am replacing the existing vinyl floor covering in a condo remodel, which was laid directly onto a concrete slab. I intend to use porcelain tiles for the new floor.

The vinyl comes off easily enough, but the glue is left behind. I don't know what type of glue was used, but my guess is that it is the original glue and about 20 years old.

Can I lay the tiles directly onto the slab without removing the glue? I'm dealing with about 1200sq.ft., so removing it will be painful. If removal is necessary, could I use 1/4in board, glued and screwed to the slab as an alternative approach?

Thanks for help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-06, 08:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I just removed 20+ yr old vinyl off my floors and it was a little pain in the butt. I ended up getting one of those floor scrapers from Home Depot and a heat gun. It took some time, but came up pretty easy. I'm sure there are some other chemicals you may be able to use to help as well.

Old 10-30-06, 07:32 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You need to remove as much of the adhesive as possible. Try hot water and a scraper. When your done scraping only the stains from the adhesive should remain. There are thinsets that can be used over these type adhesives. Check the thinset bag to make sure you have the right one.

Dont use chemicals to remove the adhesive as they may affect the thinset bond with the slab.

You cannot use cbu over the slab.

Old 11-03-06, 05:59 AM
Thanks guys.