Tile to Carpet Thresholds

Old 11-01-06, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My bathroom has carpet in it and I'm replacing it with tile. What is the proper transition or threshold between ceramic tile and the existing carpet in the hallway? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-06, 10:04 AM
a transition piece or T moulding. They sell them in wood and metal. I replaced the crappy metal ones I had in my house when I replaced the floors in the bathrooms. I bought the unfinished oak transition, cut it to fit perfectly between the doorway, stained it, and screwed it into the floor, covering the gap between the carpet and tile.

Old 11-02-06, 10:50 AM
Marble or Granite saddle will look nicer.

Old 11-02-06, 01:58 PM
Tile To Carpet Thresholds

If I used marble or granite, how does it attach to the floor? If I went with wood, and I went to buy a piece to fit to the doorway, is it referred to as a T moulding? Thanks.

Bill Wingfield

Old 11-02-06, 04:15 PM
Using marble or granite transition might be nice in some situations but to me, it depends on what the surrounding flooring consists of. If you have regular ceramic tile budding up to carpet, to throw in a fancy marble or granite transition would look out of place to me. If your bathroom flooring was very nice, expensive granite or marble and the adjoining room was a nice hardwood or some other nicer quality tile like slate or travertine, sure ...a marble transition would be appropriate. I guess that's my taste though.

Other than mortaring the stone transition piece down to the floor, I don't know how else they would be attached. Also, if you install a stone transition between tile and carpet, the carpet edge has to be cut perfectly and I would think you would beed a tack strip along the stone transition to hold the carpet down in that spot. With a T moulding or tile to carpet transition, your carpet edge doesn't have to be neat and you don't need a tack strip since the transition piece itself holds the carpet edge firmly against the subfloor. That's just my 2 cents.

And yes, you would go to your local home center and ask for either a T moulding or carpet to tile transition if you choose the wood or metal ones.

Steve

Old 11-02-06, 05:25 PM
Can't post photos here, why not?, in any case they look nicer than those cheap looking metal strips and wood, just MY.02 worth

Old 11-02-06, 07:00 PM

For my particular situation it sounds like wood will work best. Thanks guys.

Bill Wingfield

Old 11-03-06, 10:42 AM
Tileman ...you can post photos using photobucket.com. It's free ..I think you do need to set up a user name but they will host your photos and once you load them to that site, they will give you a url address so that others can view them. If you want us to view a photo of yours, you would list the url address in one of these posts and we would paste the url into our address bar. Just an FYI ...

Steve

Old 11-10-06, 11:37 PM
My guess is, I'm too late to have a positive effect on your question, but just in case, here it is. Unless I read the question wrong, I believe the issue is transitioning carpet to tile. You want to terminate two dissimilar materials together directly under the door, preferably in the center of the hinges. That way, when the door is closed, they won't bleed into the next room visually. You won't see tile on the carpet side or carpet on the tile side. The actual termination can be accomplished in several ways, but I use basically two methods. If the tile was laid over concrete board, I'll install the carpet just as to a wall and stuff it to the tile and board just as to a wall, making certain before hand that the board and tile edges are clean and the board doesn't protrude out from under the tile. If it does, I'll use a chisel to cut it back even with the tile. If the tile protrudes out past the board a small amount, (and I mean small), even better. That helps the carpet remain stuffed. If the tile was layed directly on the floor, I'll use what's known as "Z" bar. Z bar will hold the edge of the carpet down, won't allow it to come undone and doesn't show from the top so you never know it's there. This is used because the edge of the tile alone is not sufficiant surface to keep the carpet stuffed. It will come out and look ratty over time. You can also use Z bar with the concrete board tile installation. It isn't really necessary, but it's added insurance. I've seen it done with a carpet metal transition piece called clamp down, but I don't like it because the metal shows between the carpet and tile and looks funny.